Saabscene Saab Forum - Saab Technical Information Resource banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Where to start:
It idles erratically, with very sooty plugs, burns smokey when it's sputtering, but runs clean at speed.
Fuel consumption is monsterous 15-18 MPG (imp) which is costing me a fortune! The best I've had it is 18.6 on a motorway run of 80 miles. I changed the air filter but it didn't do much, in fact after that is when the smokeyness started.
Air con is very noisey, and doesn't really blow cool. It really does make a horrible noise so I have to turn the radio up very load!
There is damage to the flexible exhaust hose where it joins to the down-pipe; I've repaired it using exhaust putty and the old tin can-jubilee clip bodge, until I can afford to get a new hose welded in but the repair is okay and seems to be holding up.
The car has 105k mileage, and I am new to SAABs; must say I love it but if I can't sort out the consumption I'm going to have to let it go; any tips?

·
Registered
1,615 Posts
Welcome to Saabscene.

The first thing I would do is clean the DI unit (your will be red or black). Spray some WD40 in it as this may clean up the connectors. Failing that try and get another DI unit from somewhere/someone and try it on your car.

You will I am sure, get far more informed details from others but I would try this first.

Mileage on a 2.3lpt is 26-30 around town or 40-45 at a steady 50mph

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for your replies;
I've put new plugs in NGK BCPR7ES-11's, and I've cleaned the IAC valve. It seems a bit better.
The red DI unit; what is inside it? It seems okay but I'll spray in some WD40.
Cross fingers it seems a bit better now; consumption still a bit high though.

·
Registered
8,216 Posts
Originally posted by StephenA:
[qb]How old is it? If its before 93 then cleaning the Air Mass Meter will probably help.[/qb][/b]
I'd say this sounds very much like a faulty air mass meter. Try cleaning it out with a carb cleaner spray. If that makes no difference, get hold of a secondhand one and try that. If you know someone with a working car you can borrow one off that's ideal.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Hi all, and again thanks for your input..

The erratic idling has settled down nicely since plug change and IAC cleaning; how hard is it to clean the air mass meter and where can I find teh procedure online? Will this help with the fuel consumption (or even make it go faster!)??
Can't be the lambda probe cos there's no CAT...
The air con noise stops when I switch it off; I'm thinking bearings... any thoughts?

·
Registered
2,886 Posts
Cleaning the AMM is easy. Its in the air intake just up from the air filter. Unplug the connector and remove the clips from either end of the pipe and remove the AMM housing from the air intake. The AMM should have a grill across each end of it and inside you should be able to see a fine wire supported by several little poles (similar to the way a filament is suspended in a lamp).

Using a can of carb cleaner clean the AMM by spraying it liberally. I did it with one end of the tube pointing down so that the crud could flow out. Word of warning here - dont do this near your car and if you are doing it over tarmac dont be suprised if the tar dissolves.

Let it dry and put it back in (the tube is marked to show the air flow direction).

As for the ACC noise could be bearings in the ACC pump or it could be that its low on gas/lubricant.

Steve

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.