Saabscene Saab Forum - Saab Technical Information Resource banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
722 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
probs on holiday:
1:
no time to post messages on here (I'm sure you all missed me!)
2:
went to the shops (mother in-laws!)after an hour decided i had enough...went back to the car...had radio on, and ignition on occasionally(chain smoking ****...needed in-car lighter (giving up tomorrow honest!)) 3 hours later (yes 3 hours!) they come back to the car. ..tried to start...ignition lights come on...tried to crank...nothing. it was like the immobiliser was on...left it 5 mins and it started no probs(volts brief drop to 8V, then immediately to 13V), initially thought I had drained battery....but the car didnt even try to turn engine, then it was ok anyway. only did this once. Ideas?had I drained battery too much?why would it work 5 mins later?
3:
very noticable (transmission?) whine. I use my gears to slow down...if I drop from 4th into 3rd (example) and the gear slows the car (no accelerator) I get a loud(ish)whine/groan....seems to do this all the time. Dont notice it under acceleration (although doesn't mean it isn't there!). To me this sounds like bad news. Ideas?
4:
Was in Southern Ireland...overtaking someone (70mph in 60 zone)..camera on opposite side of road flashed me. Do EU countries chase up speeeding tickets?Or can I forget about it?
5:
Irish roads=stone chips (and huge bloody pot holes). She creaks and groans like a battleship.....never the quietest of cars, its terrible now! one especially in the dash...means taking all those bloody hex screws out....!arghhhh!!!!!

at least my boost problems are (almost always)gone (although occasioanlly it is there...maybe clean the solenoid again!)
Where can I get a (new)APC solenoid valve? can't see it on eurocar parts....£?

Anyway, I think thats a fortnights worth of typing....

·
Registered
1,925 Posts
Answer to no2: I think they have some kind of cutout at 8v, cos the battery is dying on my CS and if it gets down to 8v it won't turn, but if it's a bit above it turns lazily.

Answer to no4: I'd forget it for now, when I lived in N.Ireland if you got done for speeding in the South they couldn't do too much unless they stopped you in the South again, and then they tended to arrest you until you coughed up. I never had the problem but know some who did.

Irish roads aren't as bad now as they were 7 years ago when we moved over there, they've had a lot of money from Europe to improve them, you should try the roads down here in Kent.

Neil

·
Registered
8,216 Posts
I got into the bad habit a long time ago of using the gears to slow down. Having studied the police driver's manual a couple of years ago, I have broken the habit (and a few other bad habits too). Gears are for going, brakes are for stopping. The only time I use the gears to control speed downwards as well as upwards is when I select a lowish gear to drive in, then use the accelerator to increase and decrease speed in traffic.

Dropping it into a lower gear to slow down without matching the speed of the car first is hard on the gearbox, which is designed to transmit power in the opposite direction.

·
Registered
8,216 Posts
About the dash. Try getting some silicone lubricant spray and spraying it inall the joints.

Solenoid valve: I believe it is the same type as Trionic cars (three outlets stacked on top of each other rather than fanned out horizontally). ECP sell it as a "boost control valve" or similar, under Exhaust->Turbocharger components. The price is something over £100 + VAT. I just tried to check, but their parts database appears unavailable at the moment.

·
Registered
8,216 Posts
Ah, yes and no!
The technique I describe for selecting the appropriate gear (e.g. 2nd in the rather high-geared Aero for town traffic moving at 25-30mph) and then adjusting your speed up and down with the throttle does indeed give a lot of control. However, when you need to slow down from cruising speed to a lower speed, for example to negotiate a roundabout or a bend, it is better to use the brakes, if for no other reason than that you are using all four wheels to slow down, rather than the two driving wheels, which should make for better stability and hence control.

The recommended way to select a gear when decelerating is get to the speed you want to end up at, then select the gear that matches your new speed. i.e brake first, then clutch and change gear. This seemed very odd to me when I first started to practice it, as you can end up going slower in, say, 5th gear than you would normally consider, just before dropping into 3rd for a manoeuvre. Remember, though, that you aren't intending to accelerate in the higher gear, so "torque-band" RPM isn't necessary.

I recommend a read of "Roadcraft", the police driver's manual. I'm no expert on what it teaches by any means, but there is a lot of good sense in there, even if I haven't managed to incorporate all of it into my everyday driving.

Oh, and I'm not a copper. I just reckoned they must know a bit about driving...

·
Registered
1,664 Posts
I was once "Evaluated" by a driving instructor fresh out of High Ercall,he was not impressed with my using the gears to slow down,as he worked for the company,I has the opportunity to ask him to take a unit and trailer loaded with 20 tons out of Reading to Basingstoke,with me in the passenger seat,all was well untill we had crossed the M4,at the next roundabout the unit drive wheels locked and he came close to jack-knifing,after that he slowed with the help of the gears,the trick is always to be in a gear that you can quickly accelerate in,listed to how an automatic does it,I have on several occasions had a total brake failure,the same has never happened with the gears.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.