Saabscene Saab Forum - Saab Technical Information Resource banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have recently purchased new poly anti-roll bar bushes for the rear of my '97 9000. However I am having difficultly in undoing the bolts to remove the old ones, even after copious amounts of WD40. I have read various posts about bolts shearing off so i'm reluctant to use as much force as I can. Anyone have any ideas on how to loosen these bolts or should I just head to a garage and get them to do it (anyone know roughly the cost for this)?

Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
200 Posts
when i had this problem on my 89 9000i, i used a small wire brush to clean the threaded parts of the bolts that i could see, i cleaned them up as best as possible and kept spraying penetrating oil / fluid over the exposed threads for a couple of days before trying to undo them
hope this helps

·
Registered
1,908 Posts
Hi,

Is there much corrosion or dirt around the bolt assembly?

When I did my 1998 9000 ARB bushes, front and back, I found bolts removed quite easily after a modest application of WD40. I let the WD40 soak in for 10 minutes before applying the socket/ratchet.

With any luck, a clean and soak, you should be well on your way?!

And you should notice a distinct improvement in anti-roll once job done!

·
Registered
194 Posts
You may want to try Plus Gas rather than WD40. Plus Gas is far superior at penetrating rusted fastners. You could also try heating the area with a propane torch. The other option is an impact driver.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Finally managed to fit the new rear arb bushes and all i can say is............WOW what a difference

Was fairly sceptical about how much of a difference they could make but I'm gladly mistaken. It is almost a different car round corners.

What other cheap and easy modifications can I make to improve the handling of my 9k?

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.