Saabscene Saab Forum - Saab Technical Information Resource banner
1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
737 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just got a ppc (bsr) stage 1 for 9-5 wagon 2.0
Has anyone got any do's and dont's for me to get the best out of this. car has low miliage.

·
Registered
14,305 Posts
Hi paolo and welcome to Saabscene .

The best and simplest service recommendation I can offer you is to have the car serviced every 6,000 miles/6 months, and always use a fully synthetic oil and a good quality engine flush.

I find these service intervals an ecellent investment as a private owner. You don't need a full service every one though, just an oil/filter change. This on it's own is relatively cheap but helps to pick up any potential faults sooner rather than later and avoids getting any repair bills in one big yearly hit.

Oh, of course the other recommendation is enjoy

·
Registered
2,917 Posts
Originally posted by Mark E:
[qb]Hi paolo and welcome to Saabscene        .

The best and simplest service recommendation I can offer you is to have the car serviced every 6,000 miles/6 months, and always use a fully synthetic oil and a good quality engine flush. [/qb][/b]
Totally agree with Mr E here, been running mine (Stage Two) for a while now and do a oil change and flush every 6000, MOT results suggest the engine is running sweetly, its a sound investment

·
Registered
737 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for advice guys, friends tell me that I should use a higher rated fuel, like shell optimax (98RON).
Apart from costing me more, is this necessary?

·
Registered
98 Posts
What color is the box of the PPC? On the sellers' sites the product looks as white with blue lcd except at Engstrom.
http://engstrom.net/cgi-bin/SoftCart.100...37f0+1092422599

When I checked with Engstrom as well as BSR in Sweden, they both confirmed me that PPC is black. So why the hack is it white with blue lcd on other sites?

Anyone who knows know how much I need to pay for the ECU if I want to keep mine for Maptun? I feel closer to Maptun after the latest discussions. So I have to consider keeping the old ECU just in case if the upgrade doesn't fit my wife's liking. It could be risky then in rainy days.

Stay tuned
Tufan

·
Registered
2,277 Posts
Originally posted by paolo:
[qb]Thanks for advice guys, friends tell me that I should use a higher rated fuel, like shell optimax (98RON).
Apart from costing me more, is this necessary? [/qb][/b]
No it is not necessary. It will give some more go, but costs the earth. The ECU will cope admirably with any fuel you care to put in it. (As long as you don't try Diesel
) If you really want some more power, go for a higher stage of modification, a one off cost that will give more far more power than Optimax alone.
Nick.

·
Registered
737 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Ok, I'll run it on 95 RON. After spending £500 on the stage 1 upgrade I dont really want to fork out more for higher RON fuel if I wont really notice the difference.
Took the car for a quick blast tonight. Initial thoughts are reasonably positive, I will update for interested readers after a week once I get a fuller appreciation.
Does anyone know the 0-60 time with a stage 1 on a 2.0lpt, the only figures I could get were for 50mph + 'surges' which seemed to suggest a third better response time. Cheers

·
Registered
270 Posts
Originally posted by TurkishAerolines:
[qb]What color is the box of the PPC?
[/qb][/b]
I remember viewing a Saab fans site in US where he had probs with PPC's.
ie they wouldn't work

The label on the white PPC read Trionic7

BSR sent him a black PPC which did work and on it's label it read Trionic8

There was a pic of both units side by side which I cannot find

HTH

·
Registered
737 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Regarding the RON of fuel after a tuning conversion, I was reading the Saab handbook that states that 9-5's with the approved 192bhp kit should run on 98RON (it does note the excellent management system will cope with 95RON). Bearing in mind bsr kit is apparently 215bhp it might be an idea to run it on higher grade fuel.
I bought Shell optimax yesterday at 88p a litre, I'm not doing that again!!
One tuning company I contacted said ESSO 97 is good. At 82p i thing I'll run it this!

·
Registered
270 Posts
Originally posted by sgould:
[qb]Sainsburys 97 is OK too. And you can get an extra 5p/litre off if you buy enough groceries!!  [/qb][/b]
Not tried Sainsbury's fuel yet.
Next fill up at Sainsbury's.

[qb]One tuning company I contacted said ESSO 97 is good. [/qb][/b]
I've tried the super unleaded from Esso and I don't rate it at all.
MPG showed little to no difference compared to their standard unleaded.

I'm running a 2.3l so it may prove to be different on your 2.0l

·
Registered
737 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Dear Gazolwurf,
Do you run the HOT areo 2.3 turbo or standard?
Does it have a tuning kit? The reason I ask is that, Saab suggest 95RON for all except 192 tuned 2.0 and the 2.3 HOT. Therefore putting a higher RON into a standard vehicle may not make any difference??

·
Registered
11,343 Posts
[qb]Saab suggest 95RON for all except 192 tuned 2.0 and the 2.3 HOT.  Therefore putting a higher RON into a standard vehicle may not make any difference?? [/qb][/b]
Putting higher RON fuel in a "standard" vehicle is likely to make a difference

Saab recommends 98RON fuel for HOT and tuned engines since the higher RON fuel will help maximise the potential of the engine/tuning kit. Putting 95RON fuel in a Saab equipped with a HOT (High Output Turbo) is acceptable and will not damage the engine - you just won't get the best performance, that's all.

HTH

·
Registered
737 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Dear all,
Thanks for advice on fuel. I think I'll put 97 RON in to get the best from the 'tune' Sorry to ask such basic questions but i'm new to the game!

·
Registered
11,343 Posts
[qb]Dear all,
Thanks for advice on fuel. I think I'll put 97 RON in to get the best from the 'tune' Sorry to ask such basic questions but i'm new to the game! [/qb][/b]
No problem - that's why we are all here When I bought my Saab it had a HOT engine and the fuel filler cap said 98RON fuel only ...so I telephoned Saab GB to query this (I could only find 97RON fuel at the time)

Saab's APC (Automatic Performance Control) allows your Saab to run safely on varying grades of fuel. Basically, it you want the performance, just put in whatever grade fuel your wallet can sustain

·
Registered
115 Posts
I know it is different for us here in the USA with fuel prices being lower but I would strongly suggest using the highest octane fuel you have access to. This is going to maximize performance as well as help in eliminating engine knock. At your power levels knock might not be the killer it can be in some of the high power tuned B235R (9-5 Aero or 9-3 Viggen) applications but still over time it can be harmful. I have heard (and I stress "heard") that the BSR stage 1 program reduces the knock sensitivity from the stock programming in order to help attain the claimed power levels. If anyone knows more on this please comment as I have not yet had my 9-5 with BSR stage 1 on the dyno (rolling road).

1 - 20 of 37 Posts