Saabscene Saab Forum - Saab Technical Information Resource banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok I can;t be the only one plagued by intermittently functioning central locking...

The symptom: it doesn't work all the time! The remote will set the alarm, but not trigger the door-locks. When it's like this even using the key in a door won't activate the c/locking either so I have to manually lock every door - what a pain when we've all got used to remote C/L!!!

Sometimes it happens when it's cold (so I'm not sure that it's a thermal trip knocking the c/l function out) but often it happens when warm too...

Any thoughts???

Cheers

GReg

·
Registered
1,044 Posts
Check the locking actuator in the drivers door, this is the master switch which sends signal to all other doors. As the remote locking is putting alarm on but not locking doors this points this actuator. Check wires where they go from the door to the car, people have reported insulation failing at this point shorting things out.

·
Registered
291 Posts
Had the same problem with the central locking in my 9k aero,intermittant setting.This happened when I had a new alarm fitted as the saab one did not work.It was bad first thing in the morning especially when cold,it would operate the alarm but not the central locking.Had a word with the tech and said something like, existing units not giving the alarm the right information.He put in two heavy duty relays to the central door locking unit.Ive had no problem since.If you think speaking to him will help just let me know and i'll give you his number.

·
Registered
159 Posts
Hi there,

I have this very same problem on my 1996 Aero. I had an alarm fitted about 10 days after I bought the car that came with a remote for the locking (a Laserline 996). Before the alarm was fitted I did notice that once or twice the doors would fail to all unlock when I used the key in the drivers door, but figured that since the alarm was going to use the swtich by the electric window buttons, that all would be well (thinking it was a problem with the driver's door lock).

However, having had the car for a while now, about 50% of the time, the doors stay locked when I use the remote or key to unlock. It is worse (like Gregorius says) in the cold, or when the car has been sitting for a long time. After driving it will lock nearly 100% of the time, and unlock almost all the time if operated imediately. Up to now I have been thinking it might have been the battery, since it's nicely charged after a run. Although the downside to that theory is that if there is enough charge to start the car there should be enough to open the doors!

Would it be possible to let me know which relays the tech changed Jig? Was it a Saab main dealer or someone less expensive on the wallet?!

Thanks

Richard

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.