Saabscene Saab Forum - Saab Technical Information Resource banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

I'd like to increase the power of my MY97 9000 Aero. I'm not the real racer who likes reving engine into the red before every shifting up. So I'm searching for some option which could improve power from lower revs.

I still have Dawes MBC from my NG900, but I am afraid of harming engine.

Concerning ECU upgrade - which would be better from my point of view - Speedparts, MapTun, Hirsh ...?

What do you think? Thank you Jan.

·
Registered
4,215 Posts
to get the grunt you want it is very simple and it does not put the engine under too much strain
I would use the Dawes Device but not go for max boost..
I would set the spring so that it operates just above standard
what this gives you is almost instantaneous boost and quicker spool up
Down side is it does stain the compressor wheel and it will fail eventually
my experience has been my turbo siezed at 120 k (standard set up )and I loosened it off and it ran ok
I fitted a Dawes and ran it for another 40k till the turbine wheel disintegrated ..literaly !!
fitted a reconditioned unit and ran it for another 40 k and at the end it was starting to get a little smokey under high boost .
so I guess you could look to replace them every 50 k...

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for tips guys. Truth is, that I still play with idea to use the MBC. I thought, that MBC is behaving quite similar like remaping the ECU = APC solenoid is opening on higher intake pressures. (of course not including fuel maping, pressure limit ...) Why should it harm the turbo more than ECU upgrade?

1 - 4 of 4 Posts