Saabscene Saab Forum - Saab Technical Information Resource banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
4,427 Posts
Might help if you explained what your starting position is? Obviously something's already been done if you have a 2.1...

What fueling & induction do you use?
What exhaust?
Cam?
Ignition?

Sounds like a more interesting challenge than another stage x turbo nutter b'stard machine

·
Registered
4,427 Posts
Either way, it would help to know where you're starting from, and your intended destination, before deciding on the best route !

Can you find out about the current spec of the car?

·
Registered
295 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Its a 5 door MY93 C900, 2.1 ltr. 140 HP! I just cant stand the thougt of driving a nonturbo car but its seems like a good buy!

·
Registered
1,676 Posts
2 Ways to go about it:

1) get turbo, exhaust manifold, exhaust, IC piping from a donor car, rig up a means to get extra fuel when under boost, and restrict yourself to very low boost pressure (say, 0.3 bar)

Has been done by a couple of guys at TSN (www.saabnet.com/tsn/bb/performance).

2) Same, but rebuild engine using custom low compression pistons for 93 mm bore (preferably forged ones). Then, you can do everything you could do with a 'straight' turbo engine.

Caveat: the 2.1 litre blocks seem to be cast from slightly different (and inferior) material than the 2.0 ones. Lots of documented cases for block erosion and subsequently, failed head gaskets. There's a bulletin somewhere (www.townsendimports.com probably, when its up) that tells dealers to fix blocks thus aflicted using some kind of epoxy.
For this reason, to turbocharge one of unknown condition might not be the best thing to do - so I would probably open it up and go the rebuild/custom pistons route sooner or later.

·
Registered
295 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thats the kind of reply I was looking for Eric!

But doing a engine rebuild using custom low compression pistonstotal rebuild seem to be a very costly operation, right?

·
Registered
4,427 Posts
Presumably the capacity increase from 2.0 is a result of an over bore?? If so, and the rest is standard 16v injection, then you have the traditional non-turbo tuning mods to make - cams (Abbott? Heuschmidt?), exhaust manifold/system (Jetex, others?), injectors & fuel pressure, porting of head, blueprinting, lightening & balancing of reciprocating components, possibly throwing away the stock FI & engine management and replacing with bespoke injection and ignition (Weber Alpha, throttle bodies etc). You could even throw away the FI and put some nice fat carbs on, and have hours of endless fun balancing them and stopping them spitting fuel out at you

That all sounds like a lot of effort (and cost !)for minimal gain to me. What are you going to get, 10-15% increase?

Better off starting with a turbo methinks! It's not as if they are in short supply!!

AH, typed my reply but didn't post for a while as the phone rang and have now read Eric's reply. This whole 2.1 block is a new one to me, so scrub my coment about an over bore.

Eric, would you mind enlightening me on the origin and use of these 2.1 engines?

·
Registered
836 Posts
Not directly answering your tuning question, but have you tried a non-turbo C90016v ?

I bought one some years back, having never had anything but turbos, and I expected it to be sensible, but slow and sluggish.

I was (and still am) impressed. It doesn't have turbo torque-rush and it clearly doesn't have a lot of power (60-80mph up a big hill will take time), but it remains fun to drive. My car is a 9-5 Aero and when I borrow 'her' 900, sure it feels slower, but still leaves most other traffic comfortably behind.

I also find, that in Saab-ish style, it still has good low-down torque in spite of being 16v. Try driving an old Honda or a VW 16v and you need to rev. like hell to make them go, not so with the Saab

1 - 10 of 10 Posts