Saabscene Saab Forum - Saab Technical Information Resource banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1,245 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My current 1996 CSE has a filter in the power steering fluid reservoir which my previous 9000s did not. This filter is not mentioned in the service schedule but I think it might not be a bad thing if it was changed now and then. Anybody know anything about this filter?
I suspect that the cost of the bottle Saab special "Stearing Fluid" to top up the system after changing the filter will be more than the filter costs.

·
Registered
155 Posts
Sounds interesting. I have always noticed the power steering fluid in cars gets dirty as the mileage rises. I have never heard of anyone changing the fluid before and I get the impression that when the pump or rack have a problem and are replaced, then some of the fluid is changed.
On the Quasimotors site there is a service schedule which far exceeds Mr SAABs recommendations and appeals to me.
They recommend changing the fluid every 30,000 miles and explain how to do the job. It is one of the preventative maintenance tasks I hope to undertake later.
However the idea of a power steering fluid filter sounds appealing. Can such a thing be retrofitted?

·
Registered
1,245 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
However the idea of a power steering fluid filter sounds appealing. Can such a thing be retrofitted?
I suppose it could but you'd need to fit the later reservoir and probably the hoses too and even then you could still have problems since the ancillary parts in the engine compartment have been somewhat re-arranged from the earlier models.

·
Registered
1,908 Posts
Interesting!

>>Quasimotors site...They recommend changing the fluid every 30,000 miles

Do they state why? I have never heard of Power Steering Fluid being changed for service/preventative maintainance purposes either. Maybe it is 'hygroscopic' like brake fluid, in which case the absorbed water may cause corrosion to the poweer steering parts if not changed. Does anyone know???

Derek, where is your brake fluid filter fitted?
I am not aware of one on my late 97 CSE.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts