Saabscene Saab Forum - Saab Technical Information Resource banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,327 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi I know the ads are custom but isn't there some sort of filter?
As I keep getting popups about scan for viruses & apk files trying to download when using the site lately which is starting to get annoying

·
Registered
1,732 Posts
im glad you mention this, a couple of times, i seem to get forwarded to some dodgy sites also when using an android tablet its a good job im not easily offended lol - windows pc seems to be fine so i wonder if theres something thats targetting android browsers on the site?

·
Premium Member
1,327 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Clicked cancel on first virus popup & it forwarded to another site but clicked back before to page could load so now I just click back when popup appears
Thought after posting this thread that I should of taken screen shots of popup & apk file, will do in future

·
Registered
284 Posts
I am an admin on another site that Autoguide own. We have this same frustration there that Autoguide are not in control of the adverts they run and members have to put up with this crap there as well. No amount of telling them to switch them off will do any good.

They will ask for what the advert was and block that one specific one if you can tell them which it was. Then the next one will pop up and the same process will be dragged out again.

They will tell you that its Google's fault and that they break Google policy, but all they can do is report isolated incidents.

All I can suggest is ad blockers to stop them getting through to you in the first place.

·
Registered
284 Posts
Google have removed all ad blockers from the Play store as it is against their business model to block ad's. You can side load them and depending on whether your phone is rooted, depends on the level of ad blocking they can give.

An alternative is some of the anti virus apps will pick up these attempts to load apk's and block them.

For rooted phones Adaway is good
For non rooted phones Adblock plus is about as good as you are going to get https://adblockplus.org/en/android-about

·
Administrator
365 Posts
I am an admin on another site that Autoguide own. We have this same frustration there that Autoguide are not in control of the adverts they run and members have to put up with this crap there as well. No amount of telling them to switch them off will do any good.

They will ask for what the advert was and block that one specific one if you can tell them which it was. Then the next one will pop up and the same process will be dragged out again.

They will tell you that its Google's fault and that they break Google policy, but all they can do is report isolated incidents.

All I can suggest is ad blockers to stop them getting through to you in the first place.
Depends on the cercomstance. POP up ads should NOT be coming up on the site, nor ads that re-direct you to other places.

The only time you will get an expansion ad ( not a pop up and ad that gets bigger) is when you hover over it. Any other sort of ad that appears on your screen but not in an ad position is not supposed to be on the site.

So if you get one of these ads, please take a screen shot, then also right click your screen and hit "view page sorce" copy that text as well and post it up so we can take a look.

The issues with pop up ads is that it generally targets certain divices or brosers, but does not always hit the same people, so for us to figure out what is going on we wither need to re-create it or get as much information from the user to figure out where it is hiding.

In this case, I have attempted to re-create it and have not, so now i need members to help me out here to fine it.

So again if it happens screen shot and post it here.

HB

·
Registered
1,732 Posts
since this only hits android from my experience, it is difficult to view the source of the original page as once you get forwarded you go back and it reloads the page with no forwarding code so wont prove anything,

but yes will screen shot it again if i get forwarded to a dodgy site again (verified this only affected saabscene, no other website i use on the tablet get forwarded to dodgy sites, so pretty sure its not the tablet that has been infected)

but i must say i havent seen it for a few months but will keep my eyes peeled for it

·
Premium Member
1,327 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
Sorry couldn't get source code but here's a screen shot of an ad trying to auto download an apk without clicking on the ad
Screenshot_2014-01-02-23-20-08.jpg
Screenshot_2014-01-02-23-21-22.jpg

Mobogenie_1541.apk

Pictures have auto resized upon uploading if you want a higher resolution image just let me know

·
Administrator
365 Posts
We have confirmed with Google that this issue is Internet wide. Many sites are finding that mobile users are being redirected to their platforms app store.
If you would like to find out more information about the issue or find out what sites are affected please read this article here.

What are we doing?
In the meantime we have disabled the online gaming category in Google Ad Sense (adsense +adx)
We have blocked mobogenies.com URL from being allowed as an ad on the forum
We have disabled play.google.com from being allowed on the forum.

This means that even if the redirect happens it will not lead anywhere since those ads are being blocked.
If this does continue to happen please provide a screen shot where the URL is visible, this will help us target what else needs to be removed.
Thank you

The Community Support Team

·
Administrator
365 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,327 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
One was Mobogenie through ads.yahoo.com
The other was lovelinks.us

As I use my phone for finance & work use I try to avoid unknown apps & websites so I am unwilling to let the redirected websites load especially if they claim I have a virus and their website will remove it for me

·
Administrator
365 Posts
One was Mobogenie through ads.yahoo.com
The other was lovelinks.us

As I use my phone for finance & work use I try to avoid unknown apps & websites so I am unwilling to let the redirected websites load especially if they claim I have a virus and their website will remove it for me

Thanks for getting us the images. Have they occurred for you since the you reported it?

- dm, community support

·
Premium Member
1,327 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Hi when I started the thread it was happening daily for a week but luckily since it been an occasional thing

Unfortunately it didn't give me a url for this apk that tried to download
Screenshot_2014-01-19-21-13-42.jpg

·
Administrator
365 Posts
Thanks for the screenshot. Do you use Facebook on your phone as well? Sometimes just before coming onto the forum? We have found a link between ad pop ups on mobile devices and facebook and are looking into it. Any info helps : )

- dm, community support

·
Premium Member
1,327 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I do have Facebook on my phone and use it on occasion to send messages
Unfortunately it's a system app that Sony put on the phone otherwise I wouldn't have it

The last time was after coming to the site from a email link (spam report) using default email app

Time before that I had been on the site for about 30mins without going to any other site or app

Thank you for looking into the cause and trying to stop it from happening

·
Registered
1,732 Posts
I'm now suffering on my iPhone with a "game of war" ad that keeps on chucking me out of the web browser to the App Store to try and get me to download the game

While I understand ads are needed to fund the forum this ad makes it virtually unusable on an iPhone as it try's to display the add on every page you navigate to

1 - 20 of 31 Posts