Saabscene Saab Forum - Saab Technical Information Resource banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
174 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My '89 9000 (2L, non-DI, 239000 km) won't idle properly any more. It starts fine and runs normally but wants to stall when I am idling or even when slowing for an intersection. This happens when hot or cold, and it always restarts. It first happened after a long highway run when I was slowing down to stop it
stalled. It didn't always do it but now it happens 95% of the time when I slow down. The idle also seems a llittle lumpy.

This isn't the same kind of stall as when the BPC valve is bad (I went through that last year.) If I'm fast enough with the throttle before it stalls, I can catch it.

I don't think there are vaccum leaks. Is the AIC the first place to look? What about the O2 sensor -- will it cause this kind of stalling? Any other ideas?

Thanks,
Rod.

·
Registered
382 Posts
i had a similar problem, i fitted a new idle control valve yesterday, and its fine again. i do think you can clean this valve, if you choose. when i took mine off i was suprised to see how dirty it was inside, my car has covered 36000 miles.

·
Registered
129 Posts
I had the same problem with my 90 9000 2.3 N/A, auto. Cleaning out the AIC made a huge difference, but interestingly enough, part of the problem in my case was a barely noticeable vacuum leak from a poorly-fitting hose on the "christmas tree" end of the PCV (?) valve. (The reason for the question mark is that I'm not sure if it's the PCV for sure, but it's the valve on the top right part of the engine, just behind the DI module). I realized that it would come loose and suck air, every once in a while, and the pressure differential was what was causing the erratic idle. Of course, having a vacuum hose exposed like that couldn't have been too healthy for the IAC either... Every time I went and had the IAC/throttle body cleaned, the mechanic probably put the hose back on more securely, which would explain why my car would run beautifully for a day after, but then behave badly again.

Think of it like one of those vacuum things the dentist uses-- it flows well normally, but the pressure seems to increase when you put your tongue on it... Or something like that...

Incidentally, I fixed mine with some plastic tie clamps. They seemed to do the trick.

good luck!

·
Registered
174 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks -- I'll have a go at the idle control valve -- it seems like the best place to start trouble shooting. Having already had a bad BPC valve, I know how the car acts. I'm sure that this is something related to whatever controls the idle.

Rod.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.