Saabscene Saab Forum - Saab Technical Information Resource banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am looking into ordering some Powerflex bushes for my 9-5. The dealer gave me a quote and i figured that if i were to order all the bushes for the whole suspension, it would cost quite a bit. Can anyone give any advise as to which bushes shld i change to have the greatest benefit? i.e The roll bar bushes? wishbone bushes? Front or rear ? Thanks guys!

·
Registered
382 Posts
i changed the front and rear roll bar bushes, there was a difference, but not enough for me to run out and buy the whole lot, at least not before the old bushes needed changing.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Poly bushes are a big advantage over rubber bushes,they do not break down with age and are slightly stiffer,but if you want the ultimate in handling for your saab,i think nylon bushes are the only answer.
With rubber or poly bushes the wishbone is still able to twist,nylon bushes do not allow this to happen,these are used in many competition cars,race and rally.
I have them in both my 96T/S and sonett the transformation in handling is very noticeable,any vagueness is eliminated.

·
Registered
47 Posts
sorry about the late reply.
You will have to send a pattern to richard at motorsport engineering and developments.He will need the bush housing and a bush(a new one if possible).His Details are;
[email protected] or call him on 01257 453777,tell him Dave with the saabs gave you his details.

·
Registered
1,411 Posts
Originally posted by sonett2:
[qb]i think nylon bushes are the only answer.
With rubber or poly bushes the wishbone is still able to twist,nylon bushes do not allow this to happen [/qb][/b]
It's worth remembering that the wishbone is intentionally able to twist - that's why there are bushes there at all. So, it's a tradeoff and nylon may not be the right choice. It depends on what you're after.

·
Registered
47 Posts
It's worth remembering that the wishbone is intentionally able to twist - that's why there are bushes there at all. So, it's a tradeoff and nylon may not be the right choice. It depends on what you're after. [/QB][/QUOTE]

I don't think it is a tradeoff,you have eliminated the twisting in the bush housing,this will improve handling and steering response,to eliminate the wishbone twisting completetly(of which is negligable)the wishbones should be plated,but on the track this is not needed,a stage rally is when this will be usefull.I thought the idea was to persue as much control and handling as possible.

·
Registered
1,411 Posts
I don't think it is a tradeoff,you have eliminated the twisting in the bush housing,this will improve handling and steering response,to eliminate the wishbone twisting completetly(of which is negligable)the wishbones should be plated,but on the track this is not needed,a stage rally is when this will be usefull.I thought the idea was to persue as much control and handling as possible. [/QB][/b]
It's a tradeoff between ride quality and handling. Ask yourself why nylon bushes weren't fitted as OEM equipment.

·
Registered
662 Posts
i tried nylotron bushes about 20 years ago on my opel i had at the time.it made things really "tight",but at too higher cost as the ride goes.it was almost as solid as the "rose joint" bushes as they use in racing!!.far too hard.poly is really the only way to go
done front and back ARB,s and today done lower wishbones.well worth it

·
Registered
47 Posts
i tried nylotron bushes about 20 years ago on my opel i had at the time.it made things really "tight",but at too higher cost as the ride goes.it was almost as solid as the "rose joint" bushes as they use in racing!!.far too hard.poly is really the only way to go.

Maybe with modern suspension as compared to 20 years ago the nylon would not seem as harsh.As for OEM equipment,why don't they fit poly bushes as standard? Maybe it's a compromise between appealing to the majority and cost,the same could be said about stainless steel/ptfe brake hoses,they cost about the same,but never need replacing.

·
Registered
662 Posts
i think that it,if it didnt wear out they wouldnt sell another one!.it would be good for us ,but not for them.as for old suspension,i dont think its changed enough that "solid"nylon wouldnt be harsh.the rubber bushes are there to allow metal to metal parts move against each other,but absorb noise and vibration.nylotron did none of this.i think poly meets rubber and nylon half way.it is funny though as you say sonett,that better after market parts can be cheaper than OEM".whats going on??
(spelling edit yet again)

·
Registered
14,305 Posts
[qb],the same could be said about stainless steel/ptfe brake hoses,they cost about the same,but never need replacing. [/qb][/b]
It's normally recommended that stainless hoses are periodically replaced- not necessarily because they have a finite lifespan but because the stainless overbraid precludes you from seeing if there is any deterioration or damage/fault in the pressurised lining.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts