Saabscene Saab Forum - Saab Technical Information Resource banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2,242 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, I have the butterfly housing all cleaned up, greased up, poly bush and housing in a vice.

Tighten it up, really tight and PING! out it pops and flies across the garage. After 3 more attempts with the same result I thought I'd read up here again. I still can't find the name of the god to whom I should sacrifice virgins but it's probably moot anyway since finding them could be tough.

So, how on earth do I get the bushes in without them moving out of alignment and flying away? I've tried both the thick end and the thin end going in first but it didn't make any difference.

Any good pics from anyone or good suggestions as some people say that getting the new one in is not the hardest part.

Thanks in advance

David.

·
Registered
4,215 Posts
all I can say is make sure your push is even across the bush

I used a stout plank of wood and was carefull to keep it parallel
Vice jaws are a bit too narrow and things can get out of a line ..as you have found out

grease it well and once it starts to move in it goes all of a rush

·
Registered
183 Posts
David,
I used a long threaded bar, off my spring compressors. Then used sockets, old washers and a hole in a worktop to steady it all. went in a dream, did some a few weeks ago, but soory not photot. As ylee says make sure everything is even.

·
Registered
969 Posts
Try immersing the bushes in boiling water for a few minutes - it softens them slightly. I did this, greased with sachet stuff and then clamped in vice. Just when I though the vice was going to break they suddenly popped in. (BTW, I'll take the virgins ).

·
Registered
2,242 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks guys, I have finally joined the exclusive Poly "i've beaten the *******" bush club.

Here's my final jig in case it helps anyone else:-

I used lots of washing up liquid rather than the supplied grease as it cleans up easier (and keeps your hands soft if you buy the right one)

·
Registered
2,242 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I figured it was that end that faced forward, thanks for the confirmation.

I haven't fitted them yet, I fitted new rubber bushes to my 2.0t to liberate the alloy butterflies so that I could fit the poly bushes in preparation to my Aero some time later.

Rather disappointingly, I haven't solved the problem on the 2.0t which is that under heavy braking, the car initially pulls left slightly and with the softer suspension sort of scoops left and then comes straight.

Ah brake balance you all say, well on a rolling road it comes up even. I did think that it was because of worn suspension bushes that the left side was changing geometry until the right side caught up but that appears not to be the case. I changed both the front and rear bushes on the lower wishbone and new allow mounting brackets as all the old ones had broken or corroded.

I guess it must be a slight brake imbalance that's not showing up on the brake tester. Oh well, it's live withable.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.