Saabscene Saab Forum - Saab Technical Information Resource banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,592 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone fitted a set and noticed an increase in harshness through the steering wheel?

I am in a quest to reduce the harshness of my car as it is my main motorway cruncher. I have been getting really fed-up with it recently. It made quite an improvement when Abbott removed the poly gearbox bush last week and little difference in gear change.

Problem is, I had so many bits done together, I am not sure what to change to smooth things out a little. I have a single poly engine mount (the other is standard rubber) as well. Is this likely to increase harshness?

·
Registered
14,305 Posts
The simple answer Jez is that any poly bushes will increase NVH. Many folk report an improvement in handling when they change (partly)because their old rubber ones were worn.

It's also a myth that poly bushes don't "wear" like rubber- I've been having a lot of judder from clutch probs for some months now and yesterday when my gearbox was out the poly gearbox bush was noticeably more "squishy" than new...

·
Registered
1,592 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks, Mark. I think I might remove them & just keep the rear ARB in poly.

Handling is acceptable, especially now with the LSD and strutbrace fitted. The harshness is not!

I think you are right about the old worn rubber bush thing when changing to poly.

ps. I know lots of people with lots of poly that are quite happy living with the harshness. I am obviously a more sensitive soul!

·
Registered
4,215 Posts
One of my engine mounts (abbott one ) had gone the way of all flesh as well..I have two red ones now !!
so maybe its the yellow ones that have the prob...

·
Registered
1,592 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
You like harshness, I take it, Ylee?

Been fiddling with tyre pressures and front shocks (again). Seem to have reached a good comprimise at 1.5 turns (1 was hopeless with my springs) and 30psi on 215/45/17s. I no longer want to rush out and buy a Cliosport 182.

·
Registered
222 Posts
Jez - do you wish you had not replaced the bushes now ? Interested as I am wondering what I might do to my "new" Aero and these were on the list.

I can't help but think I should improve the brakes as priority, then a ECU upgrade.

Give the old girl a kiss from me.

·
Registered
1,597 Posts
hi - in the next few weeks, I'm replacing some of the front bushes with new standard ones (not poly). This will include the front rear ARB ones.
The only poly I will have is the rear ARB bushes (abbott)
The car has done 100k miles on the original ones, so I'll post any useful comments...

·
Registered
4,215 Posts
You like harshness, I take it, Ylee?  [/b]
nope...

I would not say mine is harsh at all....
only when I turn the fronts up to 1.5 and beyond do I see harshness
but then again being a rough and tough scotsman...

we know what harshness is

I rememember whan I was a lad ...etc etc etc

·
Registered
1,592 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Maybe bushes have a varying effect on different cars. Or maybe it is because some of us are Scottish and some of us are English!!

Nick (broken turbo) - I think if you are running on standard suspension and wheels, you should be ok with a few poly bushes. However, as per Mark E's posting, the difference that people notice when changing from old bushes to poly is often similar to the difference that people will see when changing knackered bushes to new ones.

I have driven CD Carlssons car which has a small amount of poly, but handles really nicely on 17" wheels, Abbott suspension, Abbott wishbone bushes, rear arb poly bushes and a strut brace.

Based on my experience, I would get Abbott or Powerflex (cheaper) rear (up front) wishbone bushes and rear poly ARB bushes and keep the rest in standard rubber. If any of the bushes are warn, you are likely to notice a big difference in feel or handling. Next on the shopping list would be a strut brace, which I imagine would benefit the Aero more than most due to the high level of standard performance.

Nick - I cannot recommend my Speedparts kit enough. Personally, I'd buy the stage 3 which includes the full 3" JT exhaust, though Maptun do an equally fine (if not better job) for a little more outlay. Check out elkparts.com a they sell both and offer a pretty fair service.

Re brakes, for a small outlay, get Brembo disks and Pagid or Ferodo pads. Anything else (apart from Abbott's 308mm Viggen caliper kit)and you will have to change to 17" wheels.

Oh & make sure you run super unleaded, preferably Optimax. You'll notice the performance difference and it will be good for the engine internals.

Your old car sends its love....

·
Registered
222 Posts
Thanks Jez.

Since I bought the Aero I have never put anything else in it except Optimax. That loyalty card keeps me going back to Shell !

I value your advice. Might get in touch when I have the cash spare to try to ensure I spend it wisely.

·
Registered
183 Posts
Hi chaps,

My current setup is poly on rear/front wishbone, all front arb, and all but arb ends on rear, ( I have poly on the rear arb hangers, my mod). I also have old Abbott springs, not green but rusty (until powered coated black), standard (185k) Aero shocks. I wouldn't say it was harsh, as I now have an Anni to compare, which is! Making sure all suspension bolts are correctly torqued makes a differnce, takes away any possible slop. On that note I bought Superflex bushes for the front wishbones, and used original centres, and that caused some harshness, I now have the steel tubes they supply, which does make a lot of difference.

It is a very personal thing, ride quality, I do like it firm but not tractor suspension. If you can try others with setup, if you're around somerset you're more than welcome. I'm English, but my wife is Scottish, and prefers the Aero...

·
Registered
1,592 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Hmm, speaking to John/ a couple of days ago...

Perhaps I might take a trip to Bourne Motors to get them to properly torque all suspension bolts as I suspect Maan & Woodland to use sledge hammer philosophy.

But then, I have stiffer, shorter custom Abbott front springs (due to higher ride height)& 17" wheels & perhaps I am a sensitve soul...

·
Registered
1,597 Posts
When retightening suspension bolts - Should you loosen them off first, then retorque? Or can I just tighten with my torque wrench?
Yes to the first question is easier...

1 - 13 of 13 Posts