Saabscene Saab Forum - Saab Technical Information Resource banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1,359 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have fitted poly bushes to the rear of my 9000i (big diff to understeer) but do i fit the front ones as well, i was advised by my local ind to fit new saab ones to the front not polys, on looking at some of the posts i am not sure what to do now. Also he does think that my car has the suspension from a turbo so if someone has a turbo (before 1991) with 15" 205 55 tyres could the measure the height from the ground to the top of the arch so i know what to order from ECP regarding springs and shocks.
Ta as always colin

·
Registered
8,216 Posts
I initially fitted poly to the rear of my Aero and noticed a huge difference in the balance of the car. I subsequently fitted poly to the front bar too and thought it made an improvement to cornering on my "road test" route, even though it did negate the neutralising effect of the rear bushes.

However, having driven my Aero on five or so track days I thought it was pretty good. Then I took my unmodified CSE (2.0LPT) on the track and amazingly, found it handled better than the Aero (which has Abbott springs, Koni shocks and poly bushes all round
). Of course, it doesn't grip as well, but it felt much more balanced. At one point, I'm sure I came out of the chicane at Goodwood faster than I ever did in the Aero. My passenger at the time, cdcarlsson, can tell you a little about that experience and the round of applause we got as we passed the pits

Needless to say, when I get the Aero back from Abbott, I'll be replacing the front AR bar bushes with new rubber ones. I may even consider fitting a narrower anti-roll bar or, as suggested by Ed Abbott, try disconnecting it altogether when I take it on the track.

·
Registered
722 Posts
I recently fitted poly bushes to the rear of the Carly. I find the back end to be very very light..this could be the rear shocks (old and worn...when I get round to it.........), but it happened immediately after fitting the bushes...coincidence? The car feels as though it wants to wag its tail;....

·
Registered
1,359 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I thought it felt ok on the road until i fitted the new bushes now i can see just how bad the understeer was and the diff when wet is unreal, i thought it was bad tyres on the front (p6000) but they dont seem so bad now.

·
Registered
2,277 Posts
I'm thinking of replacing my poly droplinks on the front AR bar with rubber as it may well be increasing the minor understeer that is now present. Prior to fitting poly front and rear AR bushes last year the car had a pointy feel to it that it has now lost. More poly = a bad thing? QED.

On a different note I've recently been playing with the adjustment on the front Konis'. For quite some while I've had it set fully soft as the roads around here are fairly diabolical. This did not have the desired effect of softening the ride however, as the feedback through the steering was harsh and the car seemed to be rattling itself apart. Having thought a bit about it recently I thought that perhaps the springs (Abbott) were too strong for the current damping and causing the tyres to be slapped downwards into potholes etc.
This seems to be the case, as increasing the damping by just half a turn (approx 25% of max) has smoothed out the steering wheel no end. Bumpy roads can now be taken to with new found confidence. I'm now going to play with setting up the damping around this figure as the range of adjustment is huge, and a (really) sweet spot should be possible to find. I'll let you know how I get on.

Morale: Too little damping is just as bad as too much.
I just wish I'd played around with it sooner.

Nick.

G

·
Originally posted by cdcarlsson:
[qb]Having thought a bit about it recently I thought that perhaps the springs (Abbott) were too strong for the current damping and causing the tyres to be slapped downwards into potholes etc.
This seems to be the case, as increasing the damping by just half a turn (approx 25% of max) has smoothed out the steering wheel no end.  [/qb][/b]
I have always wondered about the abbot springs. OK so they're good for track use being that is where tehy developed them - but stuff developed for the track does not necessarily mean that it is good on the road.

I would have thought people would go down the eiback route since that is what hirsch performance are using?

·
Registered
8,216 Posts
The Abbott springs that you buy off the shelf are designed for the road. They are a bit stiffer than standard, I think, but if anything, they are a bit too soft for the track.

I found the Abbott springs and Konis to be more comfortable on the road than the standard 9000 Aero suspension, and their stability over bumpy roads was a great improvement over standard.

·
Registered
8,216 Posts
[qb]More poly = a bad thing?[/qb][/b]
I think you just need to be selective. As an engineer, I like to try to understand what each modification is doing to the car. There are a lot of things you can do to the handling with poly bushes, and perhaps it doesn't make sense to do all of them at the same time.

[qb]Morale: Too little damping is just as bad as too much.  
  I just wish I'd played around with it sooner.[/qb][/b]
The words "I told you so" are running round the back of my mind, but I wouldn't want to say it

When you get the front right, you might want to make a guess at the rear adjustment and set it too. It is a bit of a pain, so you'll probably only want to set it once.

·
Registered
1,935 Posts
Poly on my 9000CSE: both torque arm bushes, the drop link bushes and front and rear ARB bushes. The rear ARBs made a difference to the understeer (reduced it). Adding the front ones made it feel like the ARB had been swapped for an iron bar.

I happen to like the solid feel at the front of the car and don't find too much vibration from the other bushes. I know others do and would say use poly in this order: rear ARB; torque arm front bush; drop link bushes; front ARB & then second torque arm bush. But think about how each one affects the driving and comfort of the car before moving on to the next stage.

Remember also you will always think you're getting an improvemnt if replacing worn out components with fresh ones and that some of the SAAB OE rubber bushes are pretty stiff (eg wishbone bushes).

·
Registered
1,935 Posts
Posted by BillJ
quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Originally posted by SteveN:
Adding the front ones made it feel like the ARB had been swapped for an iron bar.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Errr...   [/b]
OK Bill: like a very, very large proverbial iron bar

·
Registered
2,277 Posts
After reading the comments about a stiffer rear AR bar dialling out the understeer...
Would it follow that adding more stiffness to the front AR bar would negate this and bring back more understeer?

If so I'll be putting rubber bushes back into the droplinks.

Nick.

·
Registered
14,305 Posts
Iif it's any help, Nick, as you've passengered in my car around Goodwood- I've got poly just about everywhere... front/rear ARB, steering rack, front wishbones & front ARB link bushes.

I've got Konis and PI springs, which are a bit lower and stiffer than Abbott ones.

Yes, it's a bit of a pig on rough roads but I've always found it one of the most confidence inspiring cars I've ever driven in terms of feedback on what's going on. This feeling was echoed by the instructor at the last day who said what a nice handling car it was.

So, what's the moral? Firstly don't try changing everything at once- I didn't and have noticed an improvmeent in handling/repsonse each time.

Also, remember suspension is a complete system, so different grades of poly bushes/spring stiffness/damper setting/tyre profile/tyre pressure will all combine to give the overall handling characteristic. It's a very complicated business to get it right- I think perhaps I've got to something I'm happy with more by luck than judgement!!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts