Saabscene Saab Forum - Saab Technical Information Resource banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
227 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I fitted Superflex rear anti roll bushes to my 94 CSE a few weeks ago and they have really tightened up the back end on the bendy bits . I am thinking about fitting poly bushes to the front anti-roll bar, steering rack mounting, etc.
What changes in handling/steering/roadnoise can I expect? Is it worth doing?
Cheers

Stu

·
Registered
1,935 Posts
I've done both the torque arm bushes with poly. The originals were shot and I wanted to know what the feel of poly bushes was like. Result is everything is much stiffer up front but there is some extra vibration at idle. You could compromise with one poly and one OE.

The Electric Dream SAAB 9000 site has a huge amount on the subject of poly bushes. He seems to have done most of them, gives walk- throughs on fitting and the pro & cons.

·
Registered
413 Posts
If you want to fit anti-roll bar bushes I suggest you measure the bar. They're either 18mm dia. or 19mm according to model of car, but it seems unclear exactly which models have which diameter.
I bought mine direct from Supaflex ( contact details on their website ).

·
Registered
102 Posts
I fitted front and rear anti roll bar bushes (1995 CSE LPT and had 19mm bars) and was surprised not to notice much difference.
Dunno why??????

I'm hoping to fit the steering rack bushes and front wishbone bushes this weekend.

I'll let you know how it feels.

·
Registered
2,599 Posts
Finally got round to fitting my front anti-roll bar poly bushes (19mm, 96 2.3TCSE) that those kind people at Elkparts sold me. Not done the rears yet. Not a massive difference but has tightened things up a little. Need to do rears next.

·
Registered
8,216 Posts
Doing the rears will help a lot by reducing understeer and making the car turn in much more sharply. I specifically avoided doing the fronts so as not to re-introduce the understeer I was so glad to get rid of. That's why you didn't see much difference, gadgeteer, although you should find that body roll is reduced a bit and the car feels a bit "tighter". I would recommend replacing the front bushes with new rubber ones again. Cornering traction will be improved, which is essential if you have a lot of power.

As SteveN says, I've done most of the bushes and written up the procedure for each and an evaluation on my web site.

One thing that isn't on there yet is that I recently ditched the SuperFlex wishbone bushes for Abbott ones, as the SuperFlex ones shrank a bit over the year I had them fitted. I don't know whether this was just a batch problem. Lots of other people seem to be happy with them and they certainly worked well when new.

·
Registered
8,216 Posts
Doing the rears will help a lot by reducing understeer and making the car turn in much more sharply. I specifically avoided doing the fronts so as not to re-introduce the understeer I was so glad to get rid of. That's why you didn't see much difference, gadgeteer, although you should find that body roll is reduced a bit and the car feels a bit "tighter". I would recommend replacing the front bushes with new rubber ones again. Cornering traction will be improved, which is essential if you have a lot of power.

As SteveN says, I've done most of the bushes and written up the procedure for each and an evaluation on my web site.

One thing that isn't on there yet is that I recently ditched the SuperFlex wishbone bushes for Abbott ones, as the SuperFlex ones shrank a bit over the year I had them fitted. I don't know whether this was just a batch problem. Lots of other people seem to be happy with them and they certainly worked well when new.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.