Saabscene Saab Forum - Saab Technical Information Resource banner
1 - 1 of 1 Posts

·
Registered
3,349 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Earlier today, I posted on a Channel4 report about the Saab 9-5.

They’re claiming that the next generation Saab 9-5 will get a turbocharged 1.6 litre engine for its base model. They state that the info has come from a Saab source, but I’m remaining cautious until I can confirm the info for myself.

There’s been a lot of talk about how similar the current Saab 9-5 and Saab 9-3 are, so Saab are looking to differentiate them in size. According people who have seen it, the next Saab 9-5 is reputed to be around Audi A6 proportions, which is quite a bit bigger.

Keep in mind, also, that this will be Saab’s flagship vehicle. I’ve not heard of any plans for one bigger, so this is it. In a flagship vehicle, things such as power and ride comfort matter, as do safety and equipment.

People have suggested a few different engine specifications. The Opel Insignia will have a normally aspirated 1.6litre as a base engine with an output of 115hp. The possibilities go right up to around 200hp, though I think that being a base engine, it’d be more likely to land at around 150 to 170hp.

One final thing to remember is that many European markets charge taxes according to engine size, engine power or emissions (or a combination of all three). This base engine would make an attractive proposition for some looking to save some tax money and not too concerned with output.

So, what’s your verdict on the proposition? Many of you have had you say in comments already, so register your vote below and we’ll see what the results are tomorrow.

n
n

A 1.6T for the Saab 9-5?

• Good for the base engine, I suppose

• Too small for a big car

• Great! I'll get one

View Results

-

</img>

1 - 1 of 1 Posts