Saabscene Saab Forum - Saab Technical Information Resource banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1,448 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
On a nice nightly drive I found myself in the midst of a police chase with the perpetraitor narrowly missing the Viggen! I would have been pretty upset afterwards and a little nervous were it not for the night's previous events.

I raced two cars tonight, and didn't get caught!
(knock on wood) But to say that is only half the tale ...

Driving through the canyon in a Saab Viggen is an interesting experience. It's almost like dancing and not at all natural feeling, like it is in a C900. The chassis randomly twists this way and that under heavy load, and it feels twitchy. But, step on the gas and it takes off like a Pinto with a rocket strapped to the roof. There isn't much controll over the direction in which you proceed henceforth. This will certainly keep you awake, but more to the point, it scares the bejebuz outta anyone near enough to you to see what's going on.

Encounter 1. A Jetta? Ordinarily a Jetta would be about as interesting on the highway as the little orange reflector "bot-dots". Ohhh, but this was special, this was turbo, and had an obvious intake and large alloy wheels. You know what that means. So I follow the guy. Making sure he can clearly see that my Pinto indeed has something rather substantial strapped to it, and I clearly have no controll over my vehicle. We continue like this for some time and then a stoplight ... I'm behind him. I try to keep from spinning the tires as we turn left and I go to the outside and position the car nearish to his side. After a brief stint through 2nd gear which was not all that impressive, I shifted to third, and proptly accellerated past with his car still whistling. Too good to be true, car pulls out in front of me and I get to test out the new brakes. DRAT! Still I managed a good car length before needing to slow. After a couple more lights we ended up together again, light turns green, Saab turns mean. Well not really, he just missed the light for a second, by the time he realized what was going on, and I heard his car spool up and go, I had already demostrated that my car had roughly 357289054378903 times the torque he had, and he propmtly got behind me. Good boy. I then went home, put it some very nice white headlights (much brighter and cleared than the stock Halogens) and went out again. Dum Dum duuuuuuum ...

Encounter 2. This time both cars have Jet engines strapped to the roof, and one's not a Pinto. My oh my, what have we here. It looks like a Mitsubishi Lancer, and drives like an Evo with Evo wheels. But no Evo spoiler! It's too dark to see the badges, intercooler, or brakes, how will I find out for sure what this is. A large high flow muffler does not an Evo make. Rather loud, he drove so mildly around town I couldn't tell, I tried some mild accelleration bursts to make him get a little anxious, but nothing! Ahhh, the runway just the place for a couple of cars with jet engines strapped to them. A landing strip right on to the I-10 freeway Westbound. All green lights, left turn onto the onramp, 2nd gear .... WHOOSH! Definetly an Evo ... Sadly the Viggens restricted 12 psi 2nd gear was no match for the EVo's unrestricted 19 psi 2nd. But wait! There's an entire onramp (remember this Evo has at the minimum an exhaust and intake) ... we continue and I see him going by just as I'm getting settled into third and so it he. But his momentum is waning, he's running out of steam. Oh if we only had a longer onramp! At this point his rear left door and my front bumper were becoming close friends, and not getting at all tired of eachother! Alas! He could not pull at all! NO faster, he ran out of steam, but the onramp merges and I'm forced to relent ... but the tale doesn't end there!

Encounter 3. Why is there a wall of Red and Blue light approaching quickly from behind me? I'm being ABDUCTED!! Well when an Alien spaceship is coming up swiftly to your rear, the only polite thing to do is move over for it right? So the Jet-engined pinto moves over to the slow lane and suddenly a white car goes by QUITE quickly literally within INCHES of the Jet-Saab. At first I'm wondering if he's running from the now rather large spaceship behind us as well, but then I realize those are POLICE cars and a helicopter with it's Night Sun following the white car! It's a police chase!! And I'm smack in the middle, err ... to the right in the slow lane I mean. Still! They all only narrowly miss me, and as I watch the runaway car tries to pull a fast one by darting to an offramp! But the police stay right on his tail and as I drive past the exit I can smell the burnt rubber from the hard manouvers! I think I'm going to need a drink! Bartender, give me a UFO ... on the rocks! SHEESH! What a night!!

Keep on
'n!

·
Registered
14,305 Posts
Topic being closed. It has no real relation to performance, and we don't encourage the racing of other vehicles.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.