Saabscene Saab Forum - Saab Technical Information Resource banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
746 Posts
Re: Police block M-way to pick up toy

All those people going to work / for an interview / to catch a plane etc will be sooooo pleased that the life of a cuddly toy has been saved.

Madness of the highest order.

·
Registered
1,420 Posts

I know the Darwin Award is awarded posthumously but there should be awards for stupid people who cling onto life....

These people obviously got into the gene pool while the lifeguard wasn't looking.

Seriously, our police are overstretched and it's proof again that their priorities are all wrong when criminals and terrorists roam freely in our society.

·
Registered
4,895 Posts

Erm, I actually think it's a touching story! IMHO, why is being made late for work is a greater sin that causing unecessary distress to a child?

Pass my coat (it's the one with the Anarchy symbol on the back )

·
Registered
2,277 Posts

A better course of action than trying to retrieve it yourself I'm sure you'll agree....and if it meant a traffic officer wasn't pointing his hairdryer at some unsuspecting soul then bonus!

·
Registered
11,343 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·

Originally posted by cdcarlsson:
[qb]and if it meant a traffic officer wasn't pointing his hairdryer at some unsuspecting soul then bonus! [/qb][/b]
...but not if it was at the cost of catching burglars, rapists and murderers.

·
Registered
14 Posts

...but not if it was at the cost of catching burglars, rapists and murderers.[/b]
Don't want to rain on your parade, it is unlikely that 'traffic' officers would be out catching burglars, rapists or murderers unless they happened to be driving at the time. :)

·
Registered
258 Posts

Originally posted by Vector Victor:
[qb] QUOTE
...but not if it was at the cost of catching burglars, rapists and murderers.[/b]
Don't want to rain on your parade, it is unlikely that 'traffic' officers would be out catching burglars, rapists or murderers unless they happened to be driving at the time. :) [/qb][/b][/quote]Exactly. You could argue that traffic police resources should be redirected to catching burglars etc, but given the current arrangement, that was a kind thing for the traffic cops to do. It was only a few minutes, so it hardly made a big difference to anyone else. I expect the queue on the other carriageway caused by rubberneckers was longer.

·
Registered
1,610 Posts

Erm, I actually think it's a touching story! IMHO, why is being made late for work is a greater sin that causing unecessary distress to a child?[/b]
I agree to a certain extent. However, since little 'uns seem to thing that throwing dummies on to the floor is great fun, what chance that teddy ends up on the central reservation again ?

Poor Teddy

·
Registered
1,420 Posts

These people are depriving a village somewhere of an idiot....

From a social perspective we are developing a generation of nancies and wimps.... if I had done the same thing and thrown a teddy out of the car when I was little then I would have been smacked and told 'Tough!!'
You learn quickly that way...

·
Registered
737 Posts

I think the emphasis needs to be taken away from the police, who probably thought it would be a nice/kind gesture (one that the child will probably remember) and put onto the parents.

In the same vain as Welsh Wizard, how an adult can have the gall/front to phone the police over this matter is beyond me. The girl was 10 years old i believe, old enough to reason with and understand that these things happen. The parents have unwittingly proved themselves to be very 'lacking' in front of the national press.

·
Registered
11,343 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·

Originally posted by Vector Victor:
[qb]  QUOTE
Don't want to rain on your parade, it is unlikely that 'traffic' officers would be out catching burglars, rapists or murderers unless they happened to be driving at the time. :) [/qb][/b][/quote]Don't want to rain on your parade, but I think that you will find that the detection rate of criminals is actually quite high from the traffic police. A traffic policeman on this forum has stated: I'm on traffic (and proud of it!), nationally we arrest more criminals than CID

Studies have shown that those people that acrrue many parking tickets, speeding fines, drive recklessly etc have a propensity to be less socially responsible than the rest of us and are usually engaged in other more serious criminal activities.

·
Registered
2,928 Posts

...but not if it was at the cost of catching burglars, rapists and murderers.[/qb][/b]
Readers with long memories will recall that it was a traffic cop that finally caught the Yorkshire Ripper, stopped for a minor traffic event.

A couple of years ago, a chap who was near the top of the FBI's most wanted listed for many drugs jobs etc was caught, after years of trying, as a result of a routine traffic check.

Readers might also be interested to know the results of Automatic Number Plate Recognition. Here are Thames Valley's figures:-

"Between April 2004 and March 2005 ANPR operations throughout the Force area generated 1030 arrests, resulted in the recovery of 85 stolen vehicles to the value of approximately £1,234,500, and drugs and stolen property to the value of £543,000.

The 1030 arrests break down as follows:

Robbery 13
Burglary 38
Theft 101
Auto crime (Including theft of motor vehicle, TWOC, theft from motor vehicle) 155
Drugs 152
Other crime (assaults, deceptions, criminal damage etc) 65
Driving whilst disqualified 186
Excess alcohol/unfit through drugs 27
Public order 30
Warrants (Failure to appear etc) 73
Other (Failure to provide details, illegal immigrants) 190"

Also:

"Trials have shown that an officer using ANPR makes 10 times the arrests of an officer without it."

·
Registered
4,895 Posts

Thats some extremely good point making there Mark.

People of low morale fibre who are more likely to be guilty of committing driving offences than honest citizens. Whilst it might seem like soft law enforcement for those of us whose only law breaking might be to do 10mph over the speed limit, traffic policing does serve a greater purpose.

·
Registered
4,427 Posts

I'm afraid I'm with WW here. If either of my daughters ever drops a toy from a moving car the first thing that will happen is they will get a rollocking for having the thing near an open window in the first place.

The second thing that will happen is they learn quickly that by doing something so silly, they have deprived themselves of something they value. It'd only happen once...

What a caring sharing father I must be...

·
Registered
67 Posts

While I don't agree with putting in a rolling roadblock to rescue a kids favourite toy, I do agree with them putting in a rolling roadblock to remove debris from the carriageway...

I know it's only a soft toy, but what would someone on a motorbike think if it appeared in front of them? Would they swerve out of instinct, and risk going into someone else and causing a bigger accident, or would they ride over it and potentially cause themselves to go off the bike and under someones wheels?

Little 'un that caused it should have been given a ticking off from the police for causing this problem, then the parents should be given a bigger ticking off for not ensuring that their daughter could lob stuff out of the car and cause inconvenience to other road users.

Oh, I've just started my new job as a traffic officer, and I'd have done the same thing to remove it from the motorway.

·
Registered
613 Posts

On the way into work yesterday morning, driving in the outside lane along the M42 between jn3 and jn4 I saw two of those ratchet-type tie-down things remove themselves from a flat-bed transporter travelling along the inside lane.

I thought to myself, "I'm glad I'm not behind that truck - that poor person travelling behind it must have got an awful shock seeing these two large pieces of metal attached to bright orange webbing straps coming toward them at a rate of knots; oh look, the truck driver is on a mobile completely oblivious to the fact that part of his truck is causing the traffic to swerve dangerously into the hard shoulder because, this being morning rush time, the motorway is chocker and there's no where else to swerve: glad no-one had broken down just there" or something....

Couldn't take his number as I'd gone past him by then but I could see lots of mouthed "oh ****'s" etc. in my rear view mirror...

That's proper negligence by adults - kids do stupid things, including losing things through car windows, climbing trees and breaking their arms etc. etc.

Not really making a point I know, but cut the kid some slack.

·
Registered
11,343 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·

Originally posted by nikainsworth:
[qb]While I don't agree with putting in a rolling roadblock to rescue a kids favourite toy, I do agree with them putting in a rolling roadblock to remove debris from the carriageway... [/qb][/b]
Now, that sounds like a sensible approach to the issue.

·
Registered
14 Posts

Studies have shown that those people that acrrue many parking tickets, speeding fines, drive recklessly etc have a propensity to be less socially responsible than the rest of us and are usually engaged in other more serious criminal activities.[/b]
But you would agree /John that they were driving when they were caught?

Agree completely with you /John, lots of traffic guys were taken off the road in order to tackle "problem" crimes like burglary, but the guys that do burglary are the same that drive without insurance, no road tax etc.

I certainly would like to see more traffic cops on the road pulling over some of the dimwits that have managed to get a licence!

p.s. Feel free to rain on my parade as I ordered my Linear Sport with the rain sensitive wipers

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.