Saabscene Saab Forum - Saab Technical Information Resource banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
6,531 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just bought a boost gauge from elkparts ( damn quick service as usual!)
My question is, where is the best place to take a 'boost' feed from? I've no dash gauge to rob from ,and it's a 9-5

I've a handy nipple on my inlet manifold??
I've got a Y piece as part of the kit, it says to ensure the bushed end of the Y piece goes to gauge, whats the purpose of that?
They obviously say it for a reason, so if I can tap from my nipple on inlet this will be a straight pipe, no Y piece, is that a problem?

edited for terrible spelling

·
Registered
16,524 Posts
I suspect the reason for the bushing is to reduce the flow of air. If you tap off another line, that line has a purpose and the airflow needs to get there first. The branch to your gauge can fill up later (the odd millisecond or so) after the engine management has had its fill.

If you had a very long pipe to the gauge, filling the pipe to the gauge could take a significant time. Remember that a 0.5 bar suction to 1 bar boost has to fill and expand the pipe with at least 3 times more additional air than is in it at the start.

Equally going from full boost to full overrun the air stored in a long gauge line would come back out and delay the engine management reaction time.

Also if the pipe comes off the gauge, or the gauge fails, you might still get some of the engine to work.

Perhaps get some smaller bore tube for the gauge.

·
Registered
16,524 Posts
Oh! it will also act as a damper to prevent some gauge wobble due to the transients in the system and the pipe "ballooning" under surge conditions.

·
Registered
1,935 Posts
The 'handy nipple on the inlet manifold' will be a diagnostic nipple so it doesn't really matter if you plug your boost gauge in there. Saves cutting pipes and making joins.

·
Registered
836 Posts
Two questions,
A) where on the inlet manifold is your 'handy nipple'? I can't see one on mine?
B) Do you have a plan of where to put the gauge on the dash? I couldn't see anywhere sensible to put it other than on a bracket sticking out of the top. A photo of a nice installation would be very helpful....

The small restricted fitting on a gauge is normally to damp out needle oscillations, because there are pressure waves within the manifold, not just a nice even pressure. This is particularly so when the throttle is closed. My temporary test gauge shakes dementedly if the feed pipe is not restricted.

·
Registered
836 Posts
Leon,
did you find a good location for your boost gauge yet? I'd quite fancy fitting one, but I'm not going to stick it on the top of the dash.
Perhaps the ashtray could get dumped and re-use the space?

·
Registered
348 Posts
Originally posted by MarkA:
[qb]I've seen a few people dremel a Saab mobile phone mount to fit the gauge in.. looks pretty good. [/qb][/b]
That´s how I did it. Didn´t know someone else did it, too?!? Looks are suberb, IMHO. The disadvantage is that you have to take your eyes of the road to look at the gauge.

Yours,

Philip

·
Registered
348 Posts
[qb]you were who I was thinking about..     If it's any consolation - you were the first I'd seen    [/qb][/b]
Thanks. This helps me a lot. I already thought I was mainstream ... I´m trying so hard to be individual. That´s why I´m driving a Saab and not just another Audi

·
Registered
288 Posts
Here is one way to do it. A-pilar mounts are also availabe for single gauge.

I will take some photos of my similar project when I get it under way. Now I'am only missing the "carpet".

·
Registered
836 Posts
Originally posted by Vigge:
[qb]Here is one way to do it. A-pilar mounts are also availabe for single gauge.

[/qb][/b]
I like the look of that Vigge, where do they sell them? Sadly I won't be passing through Finland any time soon

·
Registered
288 Posts
Originally posted by SJ:
[qb]I like the look of that Vigge, where do they sell them? Sadly I won't be passing through Finland any time soon          [/qb][/b]
Since I live here Finland, I dont know who sells them in other countries. Here are two Scandinavian links, realcar will ship anywhere on the globe (I think).

www.realcar.se (Sweden)
www.autoracing.fi (Finland)

Cost is around 25-30 Eur.

·
Registered
348 Posts
[qb]Yep me too.. only 2200 of the babies I drive made...
[/qb][/b]
That´s exactly the reaction I was hoping for

If you consider every variation of the base model (GL/GLS/GTI/GSI/S/SE/RS/M) as a "car of its own"... But I meet 100 beefed up Audi 80s here (well they are becoming replaced by A4s more and more) every day - but hardly any Saabs.

[qb]oh and you'll live to regret that statement when your Maptun Stage x tuned Viggen meets my 'just another Audi' on Saturday.

[/qb][/b]
you would surely beat me in a Twingo on the Ring But I will look cooler - they even showed MY car on national television

With Kai behind the wheel, I think it might be interesting to see who´s faster

Yours,

Philip

·
Registered
836 Posts
I searched on Realcar's site and found no similar mountings, however on Autoracing, they were selling some. As my Finnish is non-existant (for me, with a bit of an idea, I can guess a bit of Swedish or Norweigian, but Finnish - NO CHANCE) I guessed that this site looks like Demon Tweeks with a translation..
DT do indeed sell mountings just like the one in the picture on Autoracing.

Unfortunately, they come in gloss black or carbon fibre gloss black, not quite matching my beige cloth covered pillars. The ones in Vigge's photo appear to be cloth covered and a good match. I suppose I'll have to make something myself, unless anyone knows of a source?

·
Registered
288 Posts
Originally posted by SJ:
[qb]I searched on Realcar's site and found no similar mountings, however on Autoracing, they were selling some. As my Finnish is non-existant (for me, with a bit of an idea, I can guess a bit of Swedish or Norweigian, but Finnish - NO CHANCE) I guessed that this site looks like Demon Tweeks with a translation..
DT do indeed sell mountings just like the one in the picture on Autoracing.

Unfortunately, they come in gloss black or carbon fibre gloss black, not quite matching my beige cloth covered pillars. The ones in Vigge's photo appear to be cloth covered and a good match. I suppose I'll have to make something myself, unless anyone knows of a source? [/qb][/b]
How good of a look did you have at realcar website. On the mainpage, there is a picture of a-pilar mount and text "instrument & hållare"

I dont believe there is a supplier who can provide you with pre clothed mount, unless you go to a customizing shop. My plans are to fit the cloth my self, but at the time I'am missing the fabric. I guess saab can provide it, but the price might not be so polite. Well, maybe I will just go to a junk yard.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts