Saabscene Saab Forum - Saab Technical Information Resource banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,673 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What are best plugs to use in the K' 2.0LPT man,there are Bosch FR or FD something or other in it just now.
And it looks as if I have some sort "overheating" look on them, is this the right grade. Y'see Iv'e allways used NGK, I phoned up my local factors today the guy told me "£4.65 a plug mate,they are platinum tipped".
So do I buy them,or go to the likes of Halfords just to check the book first then go to a factors and get them, whats the verdict.

·
Registered
1,673 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I allways use NGK,in the bike too,I wasn't sure of the grade.
But cheers I checked the colour out Haynes and thats when I seen overheating, I know I have a lot of diffirent plugs lying around new/used I'll see if any of the new ones are NGK and the right grade.
BTW what about those platinum one's.are they any good?, cheers.

·
Registered
1,935 Posts
Only ever use the NGK plugs in SAABs with Direct Ignition (ie. like your 2.0 LPT). The Direct Ignition was made with the NGK's in mind: anything else is very, very bad.

The II at the end of the NGK reference code given by gilbert refers to the plugs being pre-gapped at 1.1mm. If you go to Halfords and look for the same reference code but without the 'II' at the end and then gap them yourself you'll save a packet on the factor's price. Or do as StephenA suggests.

BTW the 'R' in the reference code stands for 'resistor': don't by any other kind for your car.

·
Registered
1,673 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Cheers SteveN........I new about the 'R',but not the 'II' but I'll nip along to halfords shortly and find the right grade.
And see what I have,But yea I know what you mean, when you buy thing's that "someone" has "adjusted" for you it bumps up the price.

·
Registered
8,216 Posts
Originally posted by cdcarlsson:
[qb]Has anyone run the slightly hotter BCPR6ES NGKs'?[/qb][/b]
Why would you want to do that, Nick?
I have heard of people running them in a turbo and I believe they did give problems.

·
Registered
8,216 Posts
Originally posted by SteveN:
[qb]The Direct Ignition was made with the NGK's in mind: anything else is very, very bad.[/qb][/b]
To give a bit of background, the DI system uses an ionisation current across the plug gap to measure conditions inside the combustion chamber and the information is passed back to the engine management system. It was designed to work correctly with the specified NGK plugs. Since this system uses properties of the plug not normally specified by the spark plug manufacturers, no-one can claim to produce a plug that is equivalent to the NGKs in a DI application, no matter what they tell you.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts