Saabscene Saab Forum - Saab Technical Information Resource banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

I've got a 2007 150 1.9 TID, and I'm looking into a tune for it. Of course, there are plenty of places I can take it for a tune, but after a quick look on google I'm greeted with several P&P chips claiming up to 195 bhp and 409 NM.

Has anyone had experience with these? Are they worth the money, how do they compare to a professional tuners work, and how do they affect the longevity of the car?

Some of the brands include:
RaceChip S, RS and GTS
RaceChip XLR throttle tuner
CRTD4 Tuning Box from TDI Tuning

·
Registered
1,169 Posts
I dont have any experience with "off the shelf" products but chose to use an experienced forum member here in the UK.
There are a number of issues with the Z19DTH which can be helped with a custom map.
We have 3x TIDs and all have been custom mapped to about 180BHP,EGR closed and swirl flaps fixed open.
Also the torque limiters and fuelling have been tweaked to overcome lag under 2000rpm.
For the time being I have left the DPF's intact as there have been no issues.
Fuel consumption is roughly the same around 50mpg on a long run 35-40mpg around town.
I also routinely monitor the DPF using the android app DPF info.

I personally wouldnt push the car much past 180BHP as you are risking premature turbo failure and possibly gearbox issues depending if its an auto/manual etc.
One of the biggest differences is having the hesitation issues sorted and no issues with EGR or swirl flaps further down the line.

I chose the remove the ECU and clone it across to another EDC16C39 which are plentiful and cheap (lots of GM equivalents) this has the additional benefit of
having a spare in case of water issues etc later.

All the above is relatively easy to do and can be achieved at low cost.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Hi, Mason from TDI-Tuning here. I have a 2005 9-3 1.9TiD Vector Sport with a CRTD4 box (perks of the job) that I use for commuting, and have been for half a year with no issues. The increase in power is significant and noticeable, as well as the increase in fuel efficiency. It's a viable tuning solution if you are after a safe, easily removable way of increasing performance that doesn't overwrite the ECU. Some tuning box systems also offer the ability to remotely tweak the map.

My dad has had many Saabs, at present a 2001 Saab 9-3 SE Turbo. However he has gone for the Maptun route with some very nice Viggen modifications and other modificatoins from Abbott Racing here in the UK. So from that perspective, if you plan to change engine geometry significantly - turbo changes etc. then a remap would be the way to go. However tuning boxes do indeed work, and there is a lot of innovative technology that goes in the system, with no need for supporting modifications. I hope this helps!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts