Saabscene Saab Forum - Saab Technical Information Resource banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Please do me a favor and tell me what these things are...In the first picture, the thing that is circuled is being questions because everytime I pop my hood the hose which connects to the fitting on the vave cover is popped off...im wondering if its some kind of valve and whether it might need replacing...(I need to know what it is if I am to replace it). Also, the second picture shows a piece which appears to be missing a hose...I cant find any hoses disconnected or missing so im confused as all hell. There is a unit that looks exactly like it which connects to the blow off valve which is located on the right side of the engine bay...this unit is mounted on the firewall right in front of the right hand passenger seat...and third this is disconnected from my throttle body...I know the car has electronic acceleration...is this the backup? Ive tried connecting it up and nothing changes at all...

·
Registered
778 Posts
The circled piece is your positive crancase ventilation, PCV, valve. The other devices, mounted on the firewall and the fender, are safety valves associated with the TCS, traction control. The one on the firewall may have a hose missing, but I don't think they attach to anything - I could be wrong as it's been a while since I've seen a vehicle w/TCS and I never really wanted to become that familiar with it, anyway If the car seems to not be in limp-home mode, I wouldn't worry about it. I would fix/change the PCV valve, though - it could cause the engine to appear as if it's burning/smoking oil.

·
Registered
2,886 Posts
The valve on the bulkhead should have a short length of hose on the bit that hasn't got one - on my MY92 Auto with TCS its actually about 18 inches long and hangs down behind the engine. I'm not sure what effect it not being there would have on TCS though.

As the TCS uses the ABS sensors to detect wheel spins then it could be that if you have a slightly dodgy connector in the ABS system then it will make the ABS light come on, and make the TCS come on as well.

On the older model 9000 there is a simple method to read the error codes from the ABS system which involves a couple of peices of wire and a switch. As yours is a 1992 model it is highly likely that you can use this method to determine any possible ABS problems.

Steve

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
StephenA...Any idea where I can get this process with wires and such? Ive been trying to find a way to get the error codes and havent been able to find a process...Also, your telling me the hose hangs down and connects to nothing? why would they attach a hose to it if it goes to nothing?

Any help is greatly appreciated?
Aaron

1992 Saab 9000 Turbo
5-spd

·
Registered
1,044 Posts
Also, your telling me the hose hangs down and connects to nothing? why would they attach a hose to it if it goes to nothing?

[/b]
Its open to vent and has a small piece of pipe on to stop dust etc getting in. You can buy the PCV which is a non return valve from RS Components for around £9. Do a search as this has been covered before somewhere.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.