Saabscene Saab Forum - Saab Technical Information Resource banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
778 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, it took 3 months for them to arrive, but this afternoon I mounted the new rims and tires on the Saab - it was worth the wait. They're 16 x 7" Panasports (30 mm offset) with 225/50-16 Firehawk SZ-50EP's. I weighed the old rims with tires (very little tread left) and these new ones - they both weigh the same: ~41 lbs. My theory is that the newer rims, although 1/2" wider, are a little bit lighter when the extra weight of new rubber is taken into account. I notice a distinct improvement in road feel and steering, too. I think, for an aftermarket wheel not designed by Saab, they're in character with the rest of the vehicle.......not quite as much as the three spoke, but very similar to the looks of the Ronal 8-spoke I've seen on a few Anniversaries, here in the 'States.,,.what do you think?

·
Registered
8,948 Posts
Robert, yep they look like the ronal / shelby 8 spokes and the anniversary 8 spokes, but remind me most os the 8 spokes that were fitted to the outgoing 96's in the late 70's

looking good.

Andrew

·
Registered
246 Posts
They do look very similar to my anniversary wheels. Slight difference in that yours have a bit more flat area around the nutholes at the center.

Very nice!
Its amazing how much of a difference the wheels make to the looks and character of a car.

Neel.

·
Registered
57 Posts
The new wheels really look good. I know I am gonna get lambasted for this but the only thing I am not keen on with Saab is that they generally fit a three spoke design of alloy. I think the Anni 8 spoke (and yours) really set the car off perfectly. I keep looking for a multi-spoke 17" at a reasonable price to put on my Aero but the cost is still a little high for me.

·
Registered
778 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks guys - it's funny that aeromania mentioned the alfa: IIRC, there's an alfa that has the same 4x108 bolt pattern and the distributor for Panasport mentioned that he's sold quite a few similar wheels to alfa owners. Andrew - I once had a set of the shelby 8 spokes on a 900. I thought the 900 looked good with them, too. Anyway, today was the first day commuting a distance with them - I like them even more! The 225's on a 6.5" rim may be the difference in what I experience. The extra half inch must really make a difference with sidewall flex because the steering feels much firmer and precise than before. I know that $200/wheel is a lot of money, but they are brand new, and they're an exact fit - there's no spacers or longer wheel studs. Also, there's about an inch between the inside edge of the rim and the rear trailing arms, so there's no rubbing issues....anyway, thanks again.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.