Saabscene Saab Forum - Saab Technical Information Resource banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys

Can anyone tell me where the pictogram control unit is located on my 1992 9K, I know on the earlier models there used to be a big black relay on top of the fuse box, but there is no such relay on the later models.

Many thanks

Paul

·
Registered
778 Posts
Not sure what you mean by pictogram control unit - the pictogram unit is right behind where it appears, in the instrument cluster. All the idiot lights, like the oil pressure, SRS, light indicators, etc. are wired direct to that unit. What, exactly, is the problem?

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The problem with my system, is that when I depress the brake pedal the pictogram lights up and tells me that a brake light bulb has gone. But when I changed the offending bulb, the light still came on and the light did not light up, So I then put my multi meter across the terminals to see if there was any current, and sure enougth there was 12V getting there, but as soon as you put a load on that 12V, it disapears. ie, when the bulb is in place,

I have checked the wiring and all seems to be Ok, this make me believe that the pictogram control relays may have broken down, but I cant find the actual relays, on the older models there is a large black box in the glove box with the rest of the relays, but I cant find the relays on my model.

Any help would be great, Thanks Paul

·
Registered
778 Posts
Oh, you must mean the relays behind the glove box. I think there's at least two ways to get at those - removing the glovebox, or removing the dash-top. There may be another, too, although I can't remember if that method works on '92's......hth.

·
Registered
378 Posts
Had a prob' with my Carly when testing lights b4 the mot. All OK until I tested the fog lights. When I came to switch them off the nearside light would not go out. Ended up it was the lamp cluster unit had a short, replaced it and all OK.

HTH.

·
Registered
8,948 Posts
The pictogram uses current balanceing side to side. It could be that the bulbs on the left no longer match within tolerance the bulbs on the right.

People often talk about replcing the bulbs in pairs. People often fit the wrong bulbs too (forcing in dual filament and vise versa etc).

I'd check all the bul;bs, and tra swapping some left to right 1st.

Andrew

·
Registered
2,041 Posts
Going through the glove box is easiest if you need to - only about 4/5 screws. The pictogram on my old 9000 used to light up from time to time to tell me there was a bulb out - never was and it used to go out again after a while - the control unit is in excess of £100 and may be closer to £200 if i remember right from a main dealer.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.