Saabscene Saab Forum - Saab Technical Information Resource banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
945 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
On my 93' griffin my pictogram display on the computer (beneath the speedo) firstly when I bought the car was very dim, and couldn't be read at all in day, but no problem of a night, but now it has completely disappeared on me! the computer is stil working in the background because if I shine a light onto it i can still see it tells me what gear im engaged in and everything else, its like the bulkbs which light it up have both blown. Anyone ever had the same problem, what should I/will I have to do to sort it out. I hope it doesn'tinvolve hundreds of pounds or ripping half the dashboard apart!

Thanks for your hopefully impending advice.

·
Registered
169 Posts
the lights are tiny 1.2W affairs: the sort with two exposed wires at the base of the glass bulb.

the dash top is really easy to remove and really affords the best access to the back of the instrument binnacle and other dash controls. Simply remove the speaker panels, which expose the bolts that hold each end of the top. Access further bolts in the glove compartment edge, and finally under the top edge of the binnacle. A cable anchors the centre of the panel. Release the clips and slide towards you.

have fun.

·
Registered
945 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Right, got dashboard top off, now I'm a little lost as to the bulbs I need to be changing, and how I get to them. At the back of the pictogram there appears to be a wiring connection, but I can't see that holding bulbs. And there are about 4 visible bulbs with black plastic bases dotted around the back of the instrument panel, but I assume these are for illumination of the speedo rev counter and turbo guage.

Cheers

·
Registered
63 Posts
Well take them out & using some wire test them from the battery or another DC source up to 12 volts. It doesn't matter which contact of the bulb goes to which termonal on the battery. If you want my advice use a 9v battery as this will load the lamps less. As we all know, bulbs fail when they're switched on. Usually. That's why dimmer switches make a difference to the length of time your bulbs might last in the house. Anyway I digress. If they all test ok at least you have elimninated them. The next thing to try is the connectors. They're the weakest link of any electrical circuit. Make sure they're all pushed home snugly after you have loosened them some. If that fails the come back.

Mal.

·
Registered
63 Posts
I'm going by what I've read of your posts. Have you made sure that the connectors to the EDU or DCC Trip Computer are tight too? I believe that the computer is all part of the following circuits:-

1). EDUI/EDUII/DCC type Trip Computers
2). Cruise Control
3). Fuses 13 & 17
4). Ignition Switch Relay
5). Speed Sensor
6). Outside Air Temp. Sensor
7). Interior heater (If fitted)
8). Oil Level Switch
9). Coolant Level Switch
10). Selector Switch if Auto
11). Brake Switch
12). Clutch Switch
13). ECU
14). Vacuum Pump
15). Selector Switch

As you can see this comprises the whole circuit excluding things like the battery.

By looking at individual things you will be able to remove items from this suspect list by a process of elimination. For example. If the Brake lights come on you know the Brake switch is fine. (Not that this would be the problem any way but I have included everything as that is what is listed in the circuit).

I think with a bit of time you would very quickly wittle the list down to just a few possible areas for concern.

If as you say the display on the Trip Computer is completely out then I would suspect a feed is down. You might also want to check the two pin connector very close to the plug that plugs into the Trip Computer if you have the DCC fitted. If you have the lesser EDUI Trip Computer then the two pin might well be the problem but that lead is cable-tied to the main look behind the dash. I know for a fact that I get different results with the two pin plug (dis)connected on my pictogram display.

Don't know if any of this might help but it's better than nothing. - Good luck.
Mal.

·
Registered
945 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Cheers for your help so far Mal, I've managed to sort the EDU bulbs out now, but now ione of my indicator bulbs has blown, and one of the baclight speedo bulbs has gone. Are these Bulb's a saab only bulb (as when I took a look at them, they seemed very unique) or are they everyday car electric bulbs. Also Mal, can anyone give me any advice on changing the inner CV joint gaiter, will I need to renew the driveshaft nuts as per Hayne's Manual advice(and roughly what will this cost) and are there any cheats to this job, as I'm not changing the outer CV gaiter, just the inner as it has split. Thanks again Guys.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.