Saabscene Saab Forum - Saab Technical Information Resource banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1,676 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Yes, it's finished.

It's a T7 (9-5/ 2000- 9-3) head that was modified to fit the 'long' block and extensively reworked by Sweedspeed Racing, with bigger valves amongst other things, for a later evolution of the c900 race car that did four rounds of the Dutch Supercar Challenge (or its forebear) in 1999 or 2000 before it got totalled in the opening lap of the 5th race. Frank had planned to rebuild that car with a new shell, but it never came to be. The intake you see was custom-made for the same purpose.

I went to Beek Auto Racing this morning to look and take some pics, and I must say I am well chuffed with the install
and the attention to detail. Every fuel, coolant and vacuum line has been carefully routed and zip-tied, they installed my RRFPR on a separate bracket and replaced the trottle cable (of which the plastic threaded part had been broken for some time) with a new one of the
correct length.

Monday or Tuesday will see the final dyno tuning session - all is
looking well...

Also what looks like a brand new throttle body! Note
how short the intake manifold is and the new intercooler-TB
connection with the throttle body placed diagonally.

I could not help
but start the engine and apply some gentle steps to the throttle -
holy cow, the throttle response is almost in the TVR Speed 6 league
for sharpness! :) Now that the top end noise has gone, she sounds
much lighter & smoother. Of course, the grin-inducing exhaust burble
remains the same...

·
Registered
1,676 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Originally posted by Maarten (900 Hirsch):
[qb]Lookin' good    

That's a watercooled intercooler. Is there a separate radiator to cool the water? [/qb][/b]
Yup. A 54 x 15 x 3.9 cm core that exactly fits between the rad support, as low as possible so it only covers the lower 10 cm of the engine coolant radiator. The in- and outlets go to each side, just under the rad support. I had it custom made by a local radiator shop.

Pump is a Davies Craig electric auxiliary water pump (service life 15,000 hrs continuous, guaranteed for 2 years or 2,000 hrs) from Sweedspeed.

·
Registered
762 Posts
What On Earth

its looking good Eric

we need more pictures & a write up from your first drive etc........

very nice Paul

·
Registered
1,448 Posts
Interesting that it still uses the factory AMM ... but that it also uses the DI ignition rack and no distributor! What does it do to controll the ignition timing? And I'm somewhat curious how the fuel system is setup as well. At WOT it must use a custom chip because the different head will change the Volumetric Efficiency and it will need to know this.

Very awesome looking. Can't wait for dyno sheets and more pics/videos!

·
Registered
1,676 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
There's a custom programmed stand-alone DI controller which was used on the same race c900 mentioned earlier. Beek Auto Racing did the reprogramming job back then.
It's from an '88 9000T - on some markets those got DI + APC, as opposed to the integrated DI/APC systems of '89 and later. I made the wiring harness myself.

Fuel management is by way of a non-Lambda LH 2.2 controller of which the rpm pulse input has been modifed to work with DI rather than a neg coil pulse. Communication errors between LH and DI units were the cause of my original problem of not being able to rev past 5.2K rpm. This has been resolved on the first dyno session by way of an additional circuit at the rpm pulse input.

Injectors are 33.9 lbs 9000T 2.3 jobbies (Bosch 0 280 155 009).

The final dyno session will be for reprogramming the LH eprom, and if necessary the DI chip.

That's why she's still at Beek Auto Racing, rather than in my driveway...

·
Registered
1,448 Posts
I'm not sure if I should be concerned with your choice of injector size. With the RRFPR I'm sure it's good for 280 hp ... but not much past that. Why not Aero or Viggen injectors? They're good to somewhere around 39 or 40 lbs/hr I believe. Was it just overkill for the HP numbers you're currently shooting for?

Dubbya~

·
Registered
1,676 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Remember LH is a batch fired system (which means they open four times in a crankshaft rotation rather than one), and the original injectors are 21 lbs/hr. Different rules apply here. If you use the generic formulae, the stock T16 injectors would only be good for 170 bhp (where it makes 175 hp as standard), yet in reality 230-235 hp is routinely reached with a re-chip and proper fpr selection, resulting in decent A/F ratios all the way.
Frank says the 0 280 155 009 injectors are perfect for this application, and if anything, the dyno people seem to think they might even be overkill...

Anyways, these are about the largest that the LH 2.2 computer can satisfactorily adapt to - much bigger and you might well flood the engine when starting...

1 - 15 of 15 Posts