Saabscene Saab Forum - Saab Technical Information Resource banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,423 Posts
Welcome to the club! Do make sure that the cambelt and all the pulleys have been changed at the correct service interval. I have just come close to having the tensioner fail and cause a lot of damage as many on this site have already written about.

·
Registered
1,599 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Harry

Both my friends car and mine have had all belts, idlers and trsnioners changed so we are currently OK, just the alternator on mine that is concerning me at 14.8V

Will need to get it checked ASAP

How long have you had yours? what problems have you had??

·
Registered
136 Posts
Great car, looks just like mine, same year as well.
No major issues with mine apart from oil cooler and starter motor replaced around 100,000 miles and CPS a few thousand miles ago.
I'd call these wear and tear items though.
So far the car has cost me less to keep on the road than I expected.

·
Registered
1,423 Posts
Thanks Harry

How long have you had yours? what problems have you had??[/b]
Had mine about two years, but really bought it for the LPG conversion that the previous owner had carried out. It's for sale on Saabscene and you can view the pics. and why I am selling, if you look for it.

First thing to fail was the CPS (crankshaft position sensor) which is a common fault on 9-5s and also had problems with the throttle body, again a common problem. The previous owner had both head gaskets replaced at 72,000 miles because there was a slight oil leak, which he had been told was a common fault and he also had a new turbo and cambelt. I am not too happy at the moment, because he paid £300 odd to Neo Brothers Ltd. for the cambelt at the service interval and the tensioner has just failed, costing me about the same to have it all replaced only 33,000 miles later. Thus my caution in the post! Depending on how you look at it, I was lucky. I did not notice it at 70mph on the M1 but only when pulling in for gas (LPG) at idle. Another 100 miles and it could have thrown the cambelt causing a lot of damage. Any good mechanic will replace all the pulleys and tensioner when changing the cambelt and it is false economy not to do so.

What is wrong with 14.8 volts?

·
Registered
1,599 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Hi Harry

Though alternator outputs was generally about 14- 14.5V? When I got the car there were 9 bulbs blown in the interior, something I have never come across before in any car

Just would like to confirm that my voltage regulator is working as it should and do not want to risk blowing something more serious than bulbs and to make sure I take advantage of the 12 month warrenty!!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts