Saabscene Saab Forum - Saab Technical Information Resource banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I drove into the garage tonight, eager to get inside and eat my takeaway, switched the lights off, but they didn't seem to want to switch off.

When this happened I still had my foot on the brake. I released the brake and all lights went off (engine off). When I put my foot back on the brake the brake lights, front parking lights and dash lights, including pictogram came on.

Getting my priorities right I went inside and had my take away. I then went out to the garage and all seemed fine.

The brake lights still worked without the ignition on. Is that correct?

No, I hadn't had a drink, but I am having one now.

·
Registered
1,245 Posts
I have seen a similar phenomenon on a 900 where the running lights remained on while the brake pedal was pressed and so did the engine if the key was turned off while the brake was on.
It is normal for the brake light operate when the ignition is off. This means that if the wrong bulb is fitted in a stop/tail light or if the bulb is fitted incorrectly or in the case of the 900 a faulty bulb, then the current to the brake light can be bridged to the lighting circuit illuminating the parking light circuit and if connected the daylight running lights. Since the DRLs are usually fed from the ignition circuit that explains why the engine on the 900 kept running as long as the brake pedal was pressed.
The long and short of it is check your brake light bulbs.

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks so far, but it gets worse.

A short time later at night I stopped the car and switched the ignition off before turning the light switch off. The engine remained running until I turned the lights off. Whether my foot was on the brake or otherwise was of no consequence.

My car does not have DRLs??

I will certainly check the brake light bulbs, but I replaced them both about 3 months ago. Both because of what I had heard on Saabscene, ie to make sure the pictogram operated correctly.

cheers

·
Registered
11,343 Posts
I will certainly check the brake light bulbs, but I replaced them both about 3 months ago. Both because of what I had heard on Saabscene, ie to make sure the pictogram operated correctly.[/b]
Have you checked them again, ie: removed and re-seated? I had an issue on a classic 900 once where a dual filament bulb (ie: tail and brake light) had been incorrectly inserted. Removing and reseating corrected that problem. It might help you?

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the contributions and the problem appears to be fixed.

Exactly as you suggested I checked the brake/ tail light globes and they looked OK. However, I replaced them both.

Perhaps coincidently I noticed the right rear indicator globes were both looking fairly black as if about to blow, so I replaced them as well.

Thanks again.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts