Saabscene Saab Forum - Saab Technical Information Resource banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
188 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone build performance trannies?? I have an auto in my car and I've heard they cant support much more than 200 h/p. I would like to build my car up to 300-350h/p and still have the auto tranny. Also does anyone know the MAXIMUM h/p capacity of an auto tranny?
THANX =^)
JUSTIN

·
Registered
188 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
wrighar posted 03-04-2002 21:01 UK
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Justin,
Don't worry about it, wind up the boost, wait for the Auto box to die, and then fit a 5 speed.

Andrew

But I want the auto box,thats my point.I'm kind of sick of manual,I live in one of the densest populations in the world!!!! Do u have any idea what that kind of stop & go traffic does to a clutch and flywheel?! It eats them!! In one year I went threw 3 clutches,a tranny and a flywheel in my RX-7!!

·
Registered
3,892 Posts
Justin,
Saab wouldn't match the 225bhp Aero engine with the auto box, it only got the normal FPT 200bhp, but the auto box was standard with the 210bhp V6...??!!?!?
With the auto trans expertise in the US being more so than here in the UK/Europe, (manual boxes being the prefered performance option) I would think it's more likely that you'll find somewhere your side of the pond to upgrade, if possible, the Saab 4 speed auto box.
If not you'll have to be prepared to change transmissions on a regular basis, if wanting to put that many horses through the standard auto box. Although, I suspect it's the significant torque increase at lower revs that will do the damage, rather than higher bhp, depending on your daily driving style. Stop light to stop light drag racing would kill the box very quickly I would guess...

·
Registered
600 Posts
Justin,
Out of interest, even if it is possible to get 350 BHP out of your SAAB won't you completely change it's character ?

My Aero seems to struggle with a mere 225BHP if you turn the traction control to off and to get the high power outputs ususlly means a very peaky delivery. I used to have mildly tuned Fords and spent a large amount of time fixing them.

Still, then again, having just watched that latest video about road racing, i quite fancy a nitrous kit.

Good luck !!

·
Registered
169 Posts
Justin, from your posting it sounds as if you're quite hard on transmission systems: personally I've never had to replace the clutches in my cars in under 130000km! And, yes, I drive with vim & vigour, but take the torque load on the motor rather than the slipping clutch. So too with an auto box: lift the the power slightly at times of changeover. I predict your driving style will quickly destroy the bands on any reasonable gearbox, unless you follow gassy & aeropilot's advice. Ever bagged a 12kg salmon on a 4kg line........

HAGD

1 - 7 of 7 Posts