Saabscene Saab Forum - Saab Technical Information Resource banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3,618 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
In this thread http://www.saabscene.co.uk/cgi-bin/ultimat...23;t=000182;p=2

Griffin mentions a 'Performance Torque Convertor' - what's that then ?

How much do they cost ? And are the available for the ZF box found in 9000s ?

Cos.. with near on 270HP and goodness knows how much torque through my autobox - i'd would be good on the inevitable rebuild to strengthen some bits.

My wife likes the auto too much to really consider a manual conversion...

Thankfully the auto performs great right now.

·
Registered
312 Posts
Hi Mark,
The high performance torque converter is specifically for the 9000 model ZF. I have talked to Tom about having this done on the "Griffin" and from his explanation, it has a higher stall speed and much more positive gear engagement when pushing the red line. This would seem to me to be a large positive as the faster it shifts, the less boost pressure you loose. I will look for the website and post a link. The cost for the unit itself is approx. $400US and I am sure he could ship a unit to you.
The company is Tom Donney Motors and he advertises regularly in the SCNA "Nines" magazine

·
Registered
312 Posts
Also in keeping with this line; PhantomGrip has indicated to me that they can, in fact, install one of their units on my auto but I would need to send the differential to them to insure proper installation.
HHmmm....torque converter, LSD, ...how about a paddle shifter next!!

·
Registered
4,368 Posts
Mark, a friend of mine - who also happens to be a Saab Master Technician - converted his 9000CD from auto to manual last year. His verdict? "Never again" ...

I do like the paddle-shift idea, though

·
Registered
6,531 Posts
Originally posted by James:
[qb]Mark, a friend of mine - who also happens to be a Saab Master Technician - converted his 9000CD from auto to manual last year.  His verdict?  "Never again" ...
[/qb][/b]
Really?
I have been reliably informed, whilst not straight forward is quite easy!
Well he reckons he could do one in around a day....

1 - 7 of 7 Posts