Saabscene Saab Forum - Saab Technical Information Resource banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
243 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone have any suggestions on boosting the performance of an '87 turbo? Something to get me started that's not too expensive. What should I look at doing first, that kind of thing. And what would give the best output to dollar ratio. Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
8,216 Posts
I'll move this to the Turbo Team Europe performance forum. You'll likely get a better response there - especially since the '87 was mechanically very similar to the C900 so you should get some of the 900 guys helping out too.

To set your priorities, what aspect of performance are you most displeased with? Acceleration? Response? Handling? Braking?

I'm pretty sure you can do a certain amount of boost tweaking at zero cost, but I'll let someone else who's done it describe it, along with how far you can go, what fuel you can use, etc.

·
Registered
243 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks BillJ. I didn't think about this other forum. To begin with I'll just start with acceleration. I don't want to get into the suspension just yet but it will be the next move unless I find another 9k in which case I'll ... start again.

·
Registered
563 Posts
For improved performance, the engine has to be able to breath freely. Fitting a K&N or JR airfilter will open up the intake side.

A sportsexhaust will help as well. If the exhaust is combined with a 3" downpipe the turbo will spool up faster and you'll gain some extra hp.

·
Registered
243 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the reply, Maarten. I've thought about a K&N but I will have to order it. Apparently 9000's aren't very popular over here so most places don't stock what I need. Fools, I say. As far as the exhaust, my catalytic converter would inhibit any mod I would make in that area, would it not?

·
Registered
1,086 Posts
You can probably find a good high flow sport or race cat. If you end up going the bigger downpipe route, many are offered with one. Or you can even look into putting a universal cat onto your existing downpipe. So yes, you can change out the entire exhaust and not affect the legality or drivability of your turbo. And, as Maarten said, you will let the engine breath better and therefore pproduce more power.

·
Registered
243 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Breathability looks to the best and most economical place for me to start. It should have been more obvious to me considering that's exactly how I started to build up my "79 Z28. But that was so long ago... Anyway the 9k is my first turbo and non GM so I'm sorting things as I go. It's quite a different feel from my Z but it's a lot of fun to drive on the twisties

Thanks for your generous advice.

·
Registered
1,086 Posts
I agree, BiilJ. Where are all the APC guys at to help this man out? Anyways, I know how you feel chuck, we all have been in your position before!

·
Registered
563 Posts
Here's some information about tweaking your APC , but perform these modifications at your own risk.

You can also buy a modified APC from a Saab tuner. It will cost you more money, but chances of engine damage as a result of knock, will be reduced. Tweaking an APC isn't something one would like to learn the "trail and error" way.

·
Registered
243 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
You guys are awesome! Thanks for all the input. And Maarten, everything I do is at my own risk I am fortunate, though, in that my best friend here is a British mechanic (mechanic from Britain) with his own shop so if I get in too big of a "sticky wicket" he always lends a hand. It also helps to get parts at wholesale. But I like to learn things on my own. Actually he's the one who sold me the car and he gave me a parts car to go with it! Now that's a mate! Thanks again, guys.

·
Registered
8,216 Posts
That's the sort of thing, Maarten. Eric's collection of tuning info is excellent. There is also the idea of tweaking base boost slightly, but again I have no information to hand about how to do it safely.

chucktv, are you taking English lessons from your friend?
As well as using terms like "mate" and "sticky wicket", you'll soon be calling us guys "chaps" (or depending on where he's from, we might be "blokes, cor blimey guvnor!")

·
Registered
1,086 Posts
Your best route to better performance, Maxter, is the intake and exhaust improvements with a good ECU upgrade.

·
Registered
243 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Is there an ecu upgrade for one as old as me? And if there is do you think they make one for my 87t?

·
Registered
1,086 Posts
I be;ieve your car is DI/APC which means for you, the greatest gain in enginge performance will be an APC upgrade which will raise you max turbo boost pressure. The reason I told maxter about a ECU upgrade is that in the T5 and later cars, his is a T7, the APC function is integrated into the ECU. I may get this wrong, however, I believe APC means auto Pressure Control.

·
Registered
312 Posts
My '92 has a seperate APC and the upgrade chip is available from Swedish Dynamics in Connecticut. They claim an increase from 200hp stock to 240hp with their chip. Of course that also includes the K&N filter and some type of free-flow exhaust. I also installed the Porsche 930 Dump-Valve which they carry. Here is the link:
http://www.saabperformanceparts.com/

1 - 20 of 21 Posts