Saabscene Saab Forum - Saab Technical Information Resource banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
243 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm I alone in feeling that we have been hijacked by 'go faster' muppets - 'clear corners', what bhp should my car make, 'I was showing full boost at 5000rpm and the rev limiter cut in (in a 2.3 turbo? - in this kind of weather?) etc etc! Very very sad, I bought a Saab to get away from being associated with this kind of bollocks.

·
Registered
1,436 Posts
That isn't the only conversation that goes on around here, there's plenty of variety. But if you don't want to read about issues that wind you up, then just pull your flat cap down over your eyes, put on your string backed driving gloves and cruise off into the sunset. You could always change your car again - try a Rover this time, I'm sure their bulletin board will be more sedate.

·
Registered
208 Posts
A quick check shows that much less than 20% of the threads here are about performance improvements. Hardly being hijacked are we?

Personally I can't see much point in lowering and boosting a 2 tonne tank but then I am in the lucky situation of having a lotus to play with. If I had to have a Saab as my only car then I too would be interested in reducing body roll and understeer and increasing acceleration.
On the other hand, I have never seen the point in "clear corners" but then I am the wrong side of 35 so I guess I am just getting old

btw. Gassy, Don't forget Rover put turbos in a few of their cars so I suspect similar conversations take place about them

·
Registered
11,343 Posts
A couple of weeks ago I took a Skoda Octavia RS turbo (180bhp, 0-62 under 8 seconds, 149mph top speed) for a test drive.

Driving through Thatcham High Street I noted an "old boy" driving with his hat on! Not only that, he was smoking his pipe in his lovely old white Saab 900 non-fuel injection. It made me laugh out loud. Do I look like that when I'm driving my Saab 900?(I got rid of that 9000i at the weekend)

Simon's board does attract more performance talk, I think, than this one IMO - to be fair, I do not mind whether people want to talk about performance stuff or not - it's all part of the variety.

Anyway, I think that Saab performance talk is probably more sedate than something like Scooby performance talk. That seems like a different language!

This board is what you make it. Just keep it clean and try to play nicely with each other. It is great to read threads where someone asks for help, a bunch of people offer solutions and the original chap comes back and thanks you all for your help. That is what Saab drivers are like, isn't it?

;-)

/john

·
Registered
243 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
He he he,
I think perhaps I'll buy that nice beige Maestro I saw last week instead, very sensible and they're great on fuel too, this Saab business seems a little to racey for me....nice to see I've been spotted out and about in my new hat tho, will have to talk to Mildred about some string backed gloves for Christmas!

Dave - age 33, Race engineer, ex biker and possibly having a laugh, sorry for any offense caused

·
Registered
11,343 Posts
Dave, there's a beige Montego (model up from the Maestro!) abandoned on the road behind my house. Been there six days now. Now sports go-slower orange sticker on windscreen to obscure your vision. It's yours if you want it - just take it away because the council won't! ;-)

/john

·
Registered
1,194 Posts
feels ashamed keeping the turbo on his chipped carlsson....anybody have any fiat uno engines, we could do a deal..failing that I will get the garage to take a couple of my plugs out

·
Registered
706 Posts
Oh well, as a performance muppet, i must confess i intend to increase power and inprove the handling.

If necessity didn't mean i had to have a large car (an Audi S2 Estate was my other main choice) i would have gone for a Skyline GTR or something like that.

That way i could hassle people on other BBS's

At least were not discussing RS Turbo's ;-)

Skiddins

P.S. I've had a Meastro already :)

·
Registered
243 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Mildred and I are sorry to hear about your chipped Carlsson as they look like very nice cars, with the current weather conditions and therefore salt on the roads may I be so bold as to recommend you get that seen to as soon as possible?

·
Registered
970 Posts
I have yet to get the impression that the contributors to this board, be they tweakers or otherwise are boy racers. IMHO they (Br's) have yet to undertand the benefits of enjoying a saab, which is fine by me.

Not fussed either way on 'clear corners' (except the tarmac variety), I do believe that even in the ordinary (yet inherently most dangerous) manouvre of overtaking plenty of available power is a safer bet especially if it is used correctly.

'better looking at it than for it'.

Haven't yet found a salt that renders the roads dangerously slippy and it was in these conditions I did my ADC. We didn't hang about either.

Each to their own (choice) is a wonderful thing and one of the few motoring pleasures left??

btw mel, i know where you could get a morris minor engine if you want! I remember the unique noise it made during its gearchange. skinny tyres too.

·
Registered
657 Posts
Talking of salt on roads, I see as much as anyone around here 'cos our house is right opposite a Corporation Depot where the Spreaders load up their salt. They spill a lot when they come out of the yard.
I intend putting my steel boots on until March or so. Does N E 1 else do this?
Bambo, I think DB was punning on chips

·
Registered
328 Posts
points have been missed:

viz - the more torque you have, the better you can race other road users aggressively when they assume incorrectly that the Swedish train you're commanding will remain inert as they thrape their normally aspirated tin boxes.

and when towing a caravan, it's always wise to be at optimum performance so the added weight and bulk doesn't adversely affect the ability to be first to the racing line in the wet or snow.....

·
Registered
1,908 Posts
Well done chaps.. haven't seen a thread with so much 'chuckle factor' for a long time!

Seriously though... ECO and Turbo Saabs are one of the most 'tunable cars', on the market, so no wonder we justificably get a few questions on the subject occassionally.

And at only 36 I never thought I would be drive an automatic yet, until my last test drive prooved fatal, and I bought an 'Anniversary' with an auto-box - cos it was so smooth and effortless!

I guess it's time we all invested in flat caps... that way the boy racers get an even bigger surprise when we show them a clean pair of heels Chuckle!

·
Registered
4,895 Posts
Yer, I love the way those ignorant little fools in their "Motorsport" liveried Nova SRi's sneer at my "old mans car". Give me a decent standard spec car to an over-exerted piece of boy racer trash any day of the week.

"Kiss my exhaust note suckers!!".

It's just a pity that some of them can afford scooby's now, although many of them are probably "ringed", eh?

·
Registered
244 Posts
as a newbie can someone advise me on the best approach in snow with a caravan..fast in and slow out or slow in fast out? also, how do you use the handbrake to get optimum drift? any advice on suspension lowering on the caravans and the best restraints for my labrador?

·
Registered
1,436 Posts
Of course, what we should really be doing is to wear our flat caps back to front, a la mode. It would lend us a degree of certain street cred, don't you think?

re Bill's question, I would have thought the answers would be 1) in snow fast in = fast out anyway 2) handbrake + bend + caravan + snow ; the answer is not measured in drift, but in g-force. 3) labrador restraints - pop rivets.

Merry Christmas everyone !

KW

1 - 20 of 24 Posts