Saabscene Saab Forum - Saab Technical Information Resource banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Alright, I have been reading a lot of stuff about how good Abbott Racing are, and how bad Abbott Racing are. And then I read more about others such as Speedparts, Hirsch and Maptun.

From what I can make out is that there are a few people with Abbott Racing Mods - understandable being that they are UK based. There seem to be a few with Speedparts mods too. But for all the talking up that Maptun are getting I can only find one person claiming to own their stuff

The point of this poll is simple. Separate all the people who just talk up something just becuase everyone else talks it up Let's see who has got what!

·
Registered
136 Posts
I think you should at Stromquest to the list. I know of a few people besides myself that have a SQR chip.

Eric

·
Registered
1,935 Posts
Nice idea for a poll

It would be interesting to know how many people have been to Abbott for suspension mods and how many for ECU upgrades (same for Trent). I guess a lot of people have Speedparts/ Maptun ECUs and Abbott/Trent suspensions. Just a guess...

·
Registered
4,895 Posts
Trent don't do their own 9000 ECU upgrades, well not that I'm aware of and I've been going there two and a half years. So my choice would be a speedparts chip.

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Originally posted by ERP:
[qb]I think you should at Stromquest to the list. I know of a few people besides myself that have a SQR chip.

Eric [/qb][/b]
Sorry, had not heard about them.

I can not find a way to change the voteing options so you shoukld use "other"

Originally posted by Jason (Mr Torque-Steer):
[qb]Trent don't do their own 9000 ECU upgrades, well not that I'm aware of and I've been going there two and a half years. So my choice would be a speedparts chip. [/qb][/b]
I am trying to find out WHO HAS WHAT rather than who has some preference for something. I am trying to get away from all the verbose postulating that goes on about what is best and what isn't. ONLY VOTE IF YOU HAVE AN UPGRADED ECU

thanks
RR

·
Registered
8,948 Posts
I cant vote as I haven't yet done it, looks like I've got to wait until next week to see what the answers are...

Andrew

·
Registered
8,216 Posts
Originally posted by Bubbles (fka Mark E):
[qb]What do you vote then if you've got an Abbott now and a Maptun on the way?       [/qb][/b]
My question was similar: I have my Maptun ECU (and have voted that in), but I have two other cars. If I went the Abbott or Speedparts route on another car, I wouldn't be able to represent my setup accurately.

I'm just playing Devil's Advocate, though. Having the poll at all was a very good idea and it's interesting to see that so far, I'm on my own in putting my money where my Maptun praise is. I suspect that Speedparts is now more popular because it's easy to get hold of in the UK.

I agree that other polls on suspension, transmission and braking would be useful, as I reckon the Abbott suspension to be very good (and yes, I did buy it).

Good thinking, r_renfield.

·
Registered
3,618 Posts
I have :

9-3 2.2 TiD 2001 model

It has :

Abbott Motorsport ECU upgrade.
Abbott Motorsport Sports Suspension (Eibach Springs and Koni Adjustable Dampers)
Abbott Motorsport Viggen Rescue Kit, excluding under tray brace bar.
JR Performance Air filter
Saab 17'' Wheels, Michelin Pilot Tyres.
Saab Sports Exhaust.
Shell Ultra Helix for Diesel oil (Fully synthetic)

9000 CD 2.3 Turbo Griffin.

It has :
Trent Saab Stage 2 braking upgrade (Brembo group N grey iron discs and Ferrodo DS2500 Pads)
JR Performance Air filter,
Speedparts/Elksport JT Full 3'' Sports Exhaust System.
Saab 16'' Aero wheels, Dunlop SP9000 tyres.
Sachs/Boge sports suspension
Shell Ultra Helix for Petrol oil (Fully Synthetic)

·
Registered
3,618 Posts
.. and someone's choice may not always be because the tuner is the best...

e.g.

Tuners take different bits of the market.

Hirsch only do Trionic cars.. and speciality is new cars.

Abbott are really known for 'over-all' tuning.. creating a balanced car.. braking, chassis, engine.

Trent-Saab have a great reputation on classic 900 saabs

Maptun (although this is now changing) have a reputation for software control, but leave the rest up to you.

Speedparts/Elkparts are a distributor of kit developed by other smaller Swedish tuning outfits and not the OEM developer themselves.

and, so on.

Also relative proximity to the tuner is usefull.

One of the reasons I use Abbott is because they are so near Harwich, which is only a 3.5 hour ferry crossing away from my house... and I can get my tuning work done within the day (mostly).

·
Registered
2,928 Posts
Mark A,

I note that you use the diesel and petrol versions of Helix Ultra. Just one question: do you think they are different????

When Mobil started selling Mobil 1 for Diesels, I called Mobil to ask what the difference was. After a lengthy silence, they had to admit that there is no difference between the original Mobil 1 and Mobil 1 for Diesels. They admitted that it was a triumph of marketing over engineering/common sense. Apparently the marketing people think that diesel drivers cannot read the back of the container or understand the ACEA diesel standards, so unless it says DIESEL on the front, they won't buy it.

As a diesel driver, what do you think?

·
Registered
3,618 Posts
Don't know.. I must say I doubted that they were different.. both are the same price.. around 10quid for a litre. Both are easily available.. something that can not be said for Mobil One in The Netherlands.. the only difference is that on the carton, one says 'diesel' on it.. one not.

So I opt to be on the safe side.. and purchase the thing that explicitly says it's for my type of engine.

Given that both of my cars are high-performance cars.. I decided a long time ago that both should use fully synthetic oils. I've had the TiD from new.. and it's always had Shell Ultra Helix.. the 9000 up to my ownership always had Shell semi-synthetic.. at the last service, I had the engine drained, washed through, then filled with Shell Helix Ultra - fully synthetic.

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
It's a while since I posted this poll and I only just remembered it.

interesting results. thanks everyone who took part

·
Registered
136 Posts
I should have posted this earlier but some of those companies share software upgrades. A company called BSR makes the stage 1, 2 and 3 upgrade for Speedparts and Maptun makes the software for the higher stages for Speedparts.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts