Saabscene Saab Forum - Saab Technical Information Resource banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
451 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
does anyone know of any performance ignition systems out there that can improve horsepower???
My '92 900 is non-turbo and I'm looking for anything to give it more ponies!!!

·
Registered
494 Posts
in terms of the ignition system, your Saab will probably perform at its best with everything stock and in good working order.

with a naturally aspirated engine, the most common performance upgrades would be in the areas of exhaust, intake, head/valve train work, fuel chip. the ignition system will hold up very well and is able to support a rather large increase in power with modifications made elsewhere.

when it comes time to change the ignition coil, your best bang for the buck is to spend the money on the Bosch unit (i think around $45US). dont bother with 'high performance' or 'super duper triple double quad tip color plated titanium sprayed' spark plugs either. the OEM fit NGK plugs will undoubtedly work well.

·
Registered
451 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I read about Magnecor Ignition Wires somewhere on a couple of saab sites.... It seems that allot of people seem to like those wires in the c900's. But is this favourable only in turbo engines??? I was also thinking of the fuel injectors. I want to put a cold air intake (first thing to do...) but they say that if you throw more air in the engine you also need more fuel to burn and that the best way to do it is with performance injectors... So I was thinking 1>cold air intake, 2> magnecor wires, 3> performance injectors, 4> performance exhaust. I may do the exhaust before the injectors... depends... Are fuel chips inexpensive?? Is redoing the head, valve train expensive.... is this a job I can do myself? I've only been involved in rebuilding a head once and it was on an old toyota corola wagon. I don't remember it being the easyest.... (screwing around with timing) What about performance exhaust with new intake and exhaust manifold and bigger throttle body w/ cold air intake. Would this give me at least 20 HP?

·
Registered
4,427 Posts
You have the order of your mods slightly wrong IMO. In order of ease, and of cost:

1. Make sure everything is set up as it should be - timing, mixture, etc. £
2. Intake - decent filter and cold air feed ££
3. Exhaust £££
4. Camshaft ££££
5. Head porting/polishing/valves ££££
6. Exhaust manifold ££££
7. Throw it all away (OK then, sell it!) and buy a turbo £££££

You might want to reverse 4 & 5, and AFAIK you should be fine with the standard injector capacity until you make some serious HW changes. You might also be able to increase fuel pressure - others on the site know more about this than I.

Actually, the last option would be the easiest, by far, and my choice!

·
Registered
451 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I think I'll go for cold air and perf. exhaust.
Keep the car for the next year or so and then buy a turbo c900 when the wallet permits!

·
Registered
451 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I was looking on group 9 performance parts website and they talk of 24lb fuel injectors (blue series) will this increase horsepower even if I don't have a turbo? Or will it do absolutely nothing.

·
Registered
8,948 Posts
Originally posted by drioux15:
[qb]I was looking on group 9 performance parts website and they talk of 24lb fuel injectors (blue series) will this increase horsepower even if I don't have a turbo? Or will it do absolutely nothing. [/qb][/b]
If your current injectors are able to run at the red line without running 100% and the car not running,lean then new bigger injectors will do little or nothing.

You can make the old injectors flow more by increasing the fule pressure, but this will do the same as running bigger injectors, it will make the car run rich and waste fuel

Unless... you have the extra air going in to compensate for the extra fuel.

Andrew

·
Registered
1,935 Posts
[qb]I read about Magnecor Ignition Wires somewhere on a couple of saab sites.... It seems that allot of people seem to like those wires in the c900's.[/qb][/b]
FWIW I'm using 8mm (the blue ones) Magnecor leads in my 8 valve n/a C900. They smoothed things out very well and noticeably improved mid range response. These replaced one year old OEM leads now doing service in another 900 somewhere.

·
Registered
451 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks.... Finaly some positive feedback on a non turbo... I realy do prefer the turbos... but the deal I got on this one, I couldn't resist. Unfortunately not a turbo... But It's nice to see that at least something will make this car a bit swifter!! ok. So I have cold air on the list, magnacore wires...when I have money, an exhaust... anything else that doesn't exceed the 200-300$ mark and that's easy to medium in skill level to install?
Thanks in advance

·
Registered
4,427 Posts
[qb]I think I'll go for cold air and perf. exhaust.
Keep the car for the next year or so and then buy a turbo c900 when the wallet permits! [/qb][/b]
Your call of course, but if you think it will only be a year or so before you can afford to change for a turbo, why not live with the car as is and put the money you would have spent towards the Turbo Savings Fund? You'll get there quicker if you do!

·
Registered
494 Posts
i have no other suggestions at this time, but wanted to comment on how nice my Magnecor wires look

i decided to leave the spark plug cover off, as the Magnecor wires would be in constant contact with them. the spark plug ends did seem a bit longer than the stock wires, if i recall correctly.

and yes, they did seem to smooth out the idle on my '92 900 turbo, though it could have also been anything between the fusebox > coil > wires > plugs that was causing the roughness, as all items were replaced/rewired in one job.

·
Registered
836 Posts
Cold air intake:
I replaced the intake pipe on our C900 with a Turbo snorkel. This eliminates the restriction of the narrowed-down trumpet pipe and allows the intake to suck cold air from the inner wing rather than hot air in the engine bay. I doubt that it made much difference, but every little helps when you're feeling underpowered

The car does seem very sensitive to ignition conditions, correct NGK plugs, clean rotor arm and distributor cap inside and it will make it run more smoothly and powerfully. I expect that good quality plug leads may help similarly, if your existing ones are faulty.

I'd like to try a CAT bypass pipe, but I haven't found one for sale and haven't got round to fabricating one myself (yet)

·
Registered
451 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thanks for all the suggestions guys...I have thought of not touching anything and just using the car for a year till I get a new one... But I think that if I make the car look more tesirable and sound more desirable then when I sell it I can ask a bit more for it. (I will need the money as I will be buying a turbo and they are generaly at least 1500$ more!!) I also have a big rust hole in the passenger side bottom of the door wich I'm thinking to do a quick patchup job by sanding the rust, painting with rustproof paint and riveting a sheet of aluminum on it to block the hole and prevent it of getting bigger and allowing rocks and sand to shoot up in it. The better I can restore the car, the more I cant get for it (I hope!)

·
Registered
4,427 Posts
Sounds like you're thinking this through sensibly

Sorting the cosmetics will make it more saleable, but making it go faster - you're unlikely to get your money back when you sell.

·
Registered
1,448 Posts
I have always wondered what I could have gotten out of my 1992 C900 non-turbo had I not decided to junk it.

In the interest of being unique, which is a desire most Saab owners have, this is what I probably would have done had I the time and money:

- T7 cyllinder head, but with 2.0 C900 turbo camshafts. The T7 cyllinder head can be bought new for not much more than a good port-job and flows well. The C900 camshafts should be compatible, but if not the B234i has nice camshafts.

- Pistons to go with the T7 head because it could lower the compression ratio otherwise.

- A nicer set of headers; I had a good set, but they could have been stainless, and had a better collector section.

- A different intake manifold to go with the T7 head. Runner length can be calculated by intake valve timing, and the local speed of sound. (intake temps)

- An upgraded ECU with a 7,400 RPM redline. The B234i and B202t camshafts should be up to this with a good cyllinder head. With T7 valves and T5 valve-springs, the valvetrain should be up to this as well. (The T7 valves are lighter, and T5 springs harder.)

- If I were really bold, I'd find a way to work an Ion-sensing feedback system into a DI rack and use that just because it would make the car that much more unique (how many non-turbos have it? any?) and would help the gas mileage.

I realize that the cost/horsepower ratio is going to be majorly bad following this route.

The cost/uniqueness ratio on the other hand would be really awesome. It would have been a truly unique car had I followed that route ...

Adrian W~

1 - 15 of 15 Posts