Saabscene Saab Forum - Saab Technical Information Resource banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
277 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Going along with my oil leak disaster post in the 9000 forum, I also wanted to get a general opinion on this...

http://www.saabperformanceparts.com/item71.htm

The part that interests me the most is this line
"The factory/OEM Saab cylinder head will not allow for the venture into the higher rpm range without consequences."

I had taken the car up to 5k rpm on 2 or 3 occasions, considering the rev limit is a 6200 is this such a bad thing to do? Where do you all usually shift when accelerating hard? I generally found the performance sufficient around 3k-4k so I rarely took it up there. They also offer a red series head, which is most likely what I'd go for, but they gave more detail with the blue series description.

·
Registered
1,448 Posts
By higher rev bands, I believe they mean over 6800. I know plenty of people pushing the edge of 7K in their Saabs.

Going beyond 7K requires special valve springs, solid lifters, and a well ballanced rotational assembly. (Also it may require the removal of the ballance shafts if so equipped.) Most factory cars are ballanced extremely well from the factory, especially "luxury/performance" types, which need to be ballanced well to be smooth.

As far as porting and polishing, nearly any 4 cyllinder Saab from 1994 on has very good flow through its cyllinder head. Porting helps some, but as an example at least one engine builder noted that a Trionic 7 car's head would outflow even the best port job on a Trionic 5 head, or older 2.1/2.3L head etc.

Anyhow ... porting the head isn't a bad thing, but there are other things to tackle first.

Dubbya~

1 - 3 of 3 Posts