Saabscene Saab Forum - Saab Technical Information Resource banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi folks
i have been thinking about upgrading my 90002.3lpt 1997 with a performance filter then eventually a maptune stage 3 when the funds get better, could some one please tell me if the filter upgrade alone will make a difference to fuel consumtion and will i be surprised at the increase in power when i eventually up grade to stage 3, as i really want to do this properly and will eventually put better break disks pads etc. and mayby better suspention can some one give me an idea of costs etc and any advise is welcome.
regards
kimosaabi

·
Registered
1,935 Posts
This was the first thing I did when I started to upgrade my 2.3LPT. Retrospectively I'm not sure how much difference it made (we're only talking 2-3HP max here) but at the time I felt there was a definite improvement in throttle response.

It's a good simple mod to do if you're looking to upgrade (I was) and because it means you'll never have to buy another air filter, just clean the free-flow one.

Mine was a JR from Elkparts but K&N are similar.

·
Registered
1,513 Posts
Hi all, I'm just about to fit a new Dump Valve, performance air filter & the 'Right NGk BCPR7ES plugs all bought from Elkparts, I'll be fitting them over this week end( when I get 5 Mins, work, the wife, the kids, the Pub, ) so I'll post here what I find.
Andy

·
Registered
608 Posts
I started out with the lpt, since December I have modified extensively, I didnt notice any difference at all when I fitted the JR filter to the standard airbox, however, last weekend I fitted the optiflow induction kit, which removes all the standard airbox, this has made a massive difference, really worth while.

·
Registered
11,343 Posts
I replaced my JR replacement filter element with an optiflow/cone filter arrangement and removed it about one hour later.

Too much noise, sounded like sucking through a straw at the bottom of a milkshake - quite intrusive into cabin. Did not like it. Horses for courses, I suppose, albeit mine was on a 9-3 not a 9000.

Here was mine: http://www.saabscene.co.uk/ubb/ultimatebb....t=000974#000000

·
Registered
382 Posts
kimosaabi, i dont think you will notice any improvment. the original filter is perfect for standard cars, and john is correct. the noise the induction kits kits make is crazy. but i am 47 now. if cash is tight at the moment i would spend my £25 at maquires, on car cleaning stuff. the lambs wool wash glove and gold class shampoo are fantastic.

·
Registered
608 Posts
I got the opti flow from a well known saab supplier, I cant say anymore that as I am not allowed to mention them on this board.

It was a worthwhile addition, just the time it took to fit was a pain

Andy

·
Registered
14,305 Posts
There's not a lot wrong IMO with the standard intake... so any gains will be minimal.

Use a freeflow filter such as ITG or JR, remove the snorkel from the intake plenum and drill a few holes in it for good measure and you'll get equivalent performance for less £££

·
Registered
662 Posts
Use a freeflow filter such as ITG or JR, remove the snorkel from the intake plenum and drill a few holes in it for good measure and you'll get equivalent performance for less £££  [/b]
is this worth doing on my stock cs carly(only with an MBC) mark?would i notice any difference?
cheers
simon

·
Registered
14,305 Posts
Simon,

Simple answer: Yes!

The other cheap gain if you haven't already done so is to use a cat bypass pipe, also available from Elk. Use both together and you'll notice a worthwhile improvement in responsiveness

·
Registered
662 Posts
ooh mark youre saying all the right things have i got to be carefull where i drill the airbox(water uptake) my carly WAS a "j" 92,but now i have a "k"93(will post pics when i get a chance!)so can i do the bypass thing still(still confused with that blasted law thing!! .i its ok i will order the bits now!

·
Registered
14,305 Posts
I wouldn't worry too much about water intake... the box is still tucked nicely up inside the wing. In fact, as the snorkel is some 8" or so lower than the bottom of the airbox, it could be argued that this mod wil improve the fording ability of the car. (9000s are quite good at this anyway... before airbox mods but with 40mm drop, I successfully traversed a 250mm deep flood the other year, whilst most other cars were stuck
)

·
Registered
608 Posts
I still think an induction kit is worthwhile, seeing as its such a pain to remove wheel arch lining, trim and airbox anyway, you might as well spend the extra £ and get the induction whilst your at it, plus its less to put back together afterwards !

1 - 20 of 28 Posts