Saabscene Saab Forum - Saab Technical Information Resource banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I want to change the standard exhaust on my 9000 CSE (MY97) for a stainless performance exhaust, but want the engine note to remain as unobstrusive as possible - don't want to draw too much attention at idle or under acceleration - or annoy the neighbours! The original 2.0 Eco engine has been upgraded to +205 BHP using a Hirsch ECU. Hope the big exhaust helps the engine breathe a little easier.

My first visit to Saabscene and grateful for any advice. I like the look of the Hirsch exhaust but can't afford the £700+ asking price!

Many thanks in advance,

Chris

·
Registered
4,215 Posts
Welcome to Saabscene Chris !

Exhausts are an emotive issue as well as a matter of taste

for performance there are two alternates to the Hirsch
JT (mild Steel) from elkparts (and others)
and a S/S one from Abbot Racing
On a turbo the max gains are from a less restrictive downpipe which takes away the 90 degree bend after the turbo
On noise there is little to choose between them with the abbott on being a little "deeper " in tone
neither of them are obtrusive
the alternates to these of unknown performance advantage are the people who make them up for you on the spot
there are two national franchises powerflow and longlife and you can spec up what ever you like loud,quiet 5" tailpipe whatever varying reports on these so I would tread carefully
One other suggestion is a company called Hayward and Scott who have a great name amongst scoobies and they will make a custom exhaust as well ..a little pricier but better quality I believe

do a search on exhausts it has been talked about a lot ....

good luck...

·
Registered
762 Posts
Yes welcome to Saabscene

mine is not a 9k but a C900 T8 I had a 3" custom stainless steel exhaust made for my motor delete the 90deg cast elbow etc etc..
as for sound its a tad louder but not much

HTH Paul

·
Registered
1,592 Posts
I'd personally go for the mild steel JT. They are such good value and most people report them lasting a long time. They sound great and unlike most other ones, are 3" throughout. I have dones 40,000 miles with mine with no signs of wear and I am sure that other have done more.

·
Registered
8,948 Posts
The full 3" JT on my Aero is just nearing 2 years old and looks like new

The full 3" JT on the red carly is 1years old and is new

The full 3" JT on the black Carly is of undetermined age and looks new.

See a theme??

Andrew

·
Registered
762 Posts
my 3" stainless steel exhaust cost as much as a JT 3" front pipe..............

Paul

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Many thanks for the help and advice. I'm going to go for a bigger downpipe then look to replace the exhaust when it finally gives up (and once I've got together some more cash!).

Does anyone have any experience of Ferrita exhausts (by Elkparts?).

Chris

·
Registered
737 Posts
Is the BSR exhaust of any use?

For around £700 you can get a full Stainless Steel system with sport CAT for your 9k. Downpipe is 3" cat back tails down to 2.5" I would assume as the tail pipe is only slighty larger than standard the noise would not be too different?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts