Saabscene Saab Forum - Saab Technical Information Resource banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
354 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Would a so called stainless steel "performance exhaust" add anything noticeable to the performance of an otherwise standard cs aero - also any recomendations (and price)would be greatfully received.

Julian

·
Registered
1,908 Posts
If a straight through pipe is applied from the cat onwards, you may see 5bhp improvement but won't notice the difference - as is my experience with a stainless unit recently fitted.

Why?
Because the CAT is the biggest restrictor on the exhaust system. You can get a bypass pipe applied in place of the CAT, but will need to swap it back for MOT's!

Cost, £300 from SOC 'Driver Magazine' Scheme plus fitting (i.e. shipped to you) or same price including fitting from local branch of LongLife Exhausts. I had mine fitted by the Cardiff branch of Longlife, and they were a totally proffessional outfit, with no complaints - although I got a special deal for £255 inc fitting!

·
Registered
706 Posts
What about the 'Sports' Cats that can be fitted in the usual cats place.
Has anyone fitted these and noticed the difference?

My last car had 2 cats, i replaced both with cat replacers (Look like small Silencers) which are straight through......made bugger all difference, probably only noticable on a rolling road!

Skiddins

·
Registered
1,908 Posts
Skiddins, hadn't come across sports CATs before, so hopefully someone else can comment on their benefit.

Was you last car a Saab?
When 'Longlife Exhauses' built me a stainless (straight through) unit, they assured me there would be an ecconomy and performance improvement, as is their experience for most cars they fit. Not that I noticed any improvement!

So I can't understand why a bypass pipe for the CAT (i.e. location) didn't have an impact on you last car.

I notice Abbot do a 'sports exhaust' for about £800. Wonder wht improvement this gives bearing in mind the above comments!

·
Registered
83 Posts
The cat isn't always the bottleneck. A poorly designed or carelessly manufactured exhaust manifold can equally be the problem.

Or any other part of the engine for that matter!

The job of a performance exhaust system is to expel the exhaust gasses as quickly as possible. This can be achieved by reducing the amount of twists and turns the gasses have to pass through. Typically the baffles in the silencer are the first to go!

The cat slows the gasses down as it passes through the matrix of exotic metals.

I run a (silenced) cat-replacement pipe in my other car and it makes a noticeable difference, although not earth-shattering.

Cheers,

Liam.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.