1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
PBR metal master brake pad set...

or the textar set....

carbon fibre vs. metallic...

cmon guys i'm a stupid american kid that wants a decent running car....

which would be better for street use? stopping ability hot or cold? brake dust and noise?

are there pads you would suggest other than those?

·
Registered
1,448 Posts
I have NO idea which would stop you faster ... BUT ... semi-metallic pads sometimes will chew up rotors so personally, I would try the carbon fibre ones first and see if they stop you satisfactorily. If they do a respectable job I would just keep those. I'm hoping the carbon fibre ones don't chew up the new rotors I want to get for the Viggen ... and while were on the subject of brakes ...

Does anyone know if the 9-3 Brembo brake kit from www.group9performance.com applies to the Viggen? It says "All models", but like every other place for some reason I think they don't carry ones suitable for the Viggen. The darn stock pads chew up the rotors and I need some replacement rotors. Trouble is the factory replacements are almost as much as the upgrade kit!
Anyway, not to divert the thread, just if anyone reading this thread has any reccomendations let me know!

·
Registered
8,948 Posts
Well the textar's are the standard pads.

The metal masters I've heard of but never seen in the UK and I know of no one who's used them.

If you search these boards you'll find that the prefered option appears to be Ferroda DS2500 or Mintex C-tech / M1144 type pads.

Andrew

·
Registered
14,305 Posts
Failure of cross drilled rotors normally occurs through bad braking techniques. They need to be properly and gradually warmed up before prolonged heavy braking, not used full force stright away. They are quite acceptable for normal road use.

Cross drilling is merely a cosmetic thing IMO. Grooving is far more effective at reducing gassing and glaze .

Having said that, if you use a non gassing pad such as the DS2500 then you don't really even need grooves either.

[edit] grooves=slot-drilled

·
Registered
1,448 Posts
I'm not so sure about there being NO advantage to cross drilled rotors. If that were the case I'm sure racing venues such as formula one would not use it. In addition, many high performance vehicles use cross drilled rotors safely without failure. I think in this case it's more about who makes your rotors, than what design they are. Brembo typically makes good rotors, and I've not heard much about them failing. Also EBC makes rotors that are "dimpled" ... apparently combining that with slotting gave optimal cooling with minimum risk for failure. It's supposed to cool even better than cross drilling and in some sense I can see why. But anything is better than the stock Viggen rotors, they actually get reasonably obvious brake fade, and lip after only 20K miles ... at least mine have and so did the other Viggens that were at the dealer. Still looking to see if group 9 makes the Brembo's for the Viggen. I'd rather risk getting rotors that fail, than I would buy rotors that I KNOW are going to wear out in 20K miles.

·
Registered
62 Posts
I have the PBR pads on my 900. I put them on about 3 weeks ago. about a week ago i noticed a squeal at light brake pressure. there is no squeal at harder pressure though. they have a little better performance than the stock pads, but if you are looking for a real improvement, id go with ferodas or green stuff pads.

·
Registered
8,948 Posts
This is what Phil Lacefield in the USA has to say about them (today)

Subject: [TURBO]9000 brake pads, bleh

Okay, so, this spring when I got the "new" CS, I put new rotors and a set of Metal Master pads on the front.  They squeal like crazy, and have officially driven me to the point where I'm going to remove them and replace them with non-squeaky pads.  Suggestions? (And is anyone interested in a slightly used set of Metal Masters for the front, and a brand new set for the rear that I will now not install?)

Thanks! - Phil[/b]

·
Registered
613 Posts
Only words of advice I can offer would be to avoid EBC GreenStuff pads!! Absolute [expletive deleted] for daily driving. They're only good in heavy street or track racing, IMHO. I bought a set for my '99 9-3 a while back, and they took so much longer to stop the car than even the mostly worn stock pads that I pulled off the EBCs and replaced them with a new set of OEM pads. Next set will probably be DS2500s, heard a lot of good about them.......

·
Registered
14,305 Posts
Originally posted by pyronerd:
[qb]Only words of advice I can offer would be to avoid EBC GreenStuff pads!!  Absolute [expletive deleted] for daily driving.  They're only good in heavy street or track racing, IMHO.  [/qb][/b]
Greenstuff=Brownstuff period IMO.

There's a couple of us tried them on our 9000s. Whilst OK for the first few thousands miles, thereafter they deteriorate and become very unpredictable in their response and feel. They were even worse under heavy braking.

Yes, DS2500 is a very good compound. It's a non-gassing pad so you don't have to have grooved discs to keep them performing well.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts