Saabscene Saab Forum - Saab Technical Information Resource banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone have some experience with water independent heating (Parking Heaters). I don't care about the temperature in the cabin but I'm commiserate with the engine every time when I have to start it in temperatures about -15 of Celsius. I've read somewhere, that 2 cold winter starts harms the engine as like 20 000 kms when on operating temperature (which seems to me a little high value - maybe some advertising move ).

·
Registered
31 Posts
I have I think what you are refering to fitted to my 89 Carlsson. I call it my "Arctic heater", it is a petrol powered [ but independently from the engine].

It is the business !! You can set it to come on up to three times a day and it will run for up to 60 mins on each occassion. I use mine when I leave for the airport at 05.00 on a winters morning. I do not run it for more that 30 mins before I get in otherwise I have to drive off with the windows open because it is sooooo hot.

The engine is warmed up and the interior defrosted and nice and warm. You obviously loose a bit on the MPG, but that is not a problem as you do not use it all the time.

A word of warning ,it is a bit noisy, there is not silencer on the burner, so it can sound little like Concorde on take off. The Car park attendent at the station thought the car was going to explode upon hearing the noise when I inadvertantly set it to switch on one evening !!!

·
Registered
2,928 Posts
Saab sell two types, the fuel burning sort mentioned above, which is very powerful (about 5kW) and can be used anywhere, but is quite expensive (£300 - £400) and a small electrical one which is much less powerful and I believe does not heat the engine fully.

The alternative is the Kenlowe device which is relatively cheap, but quite powerful (2.2kW - 3kW depending on your supply voltage), but you are still restricted by the need for mains electricity. See here.

·
Registered
2,277 Posts
Interesting post vgmf, I've read about the petrol/electric options years ago (probably around 1989) but have never come across a Saab fitted with either. Would love to have the petrol option for those frosty mornings!

Nick.
(a positivly balmy +9 deg C today!)

·
Registered
21 Posts
In finland we use usualy just elektric heaters wich heats the engine and the interieur. I have no clue about how good (or bad) those petrol heatings are but the electric heaters work always also by -35 (of course you have to heat it on those temparatures more) but usualy by your temparatures you need just 1 or 1 1/2 hours to heat up.

Yeah we use the heaters of DEFA (fitted by Scanauto part of SAAB service in finland)

Costs between 200-400€

·
Registered
295 Posts
I had the org. SAAB Petrol Heater on my old 9-3. And I really miss it on my present car!

I belive it was a Sebasto (german) Heater. Its such a nice feeling getting into a steaming hot car in the morning, just like stepping into a hot bath! Especially when every body else is walking around out in the cold defrosting their cars!!!!

If you go for it, dont save the remote control, as this makes it much easier to use!

The fuel economy will NOT decrease as the fuel spend on the heater will be saved in the other end. And yes its right that a cold start around 0 degrees Celtius will tear your engine as much as 600 Km of normal driving!

If you have the money, DO IT!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.