Saabscene Saab Forum - Saab Technical Information Resource banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
11,343 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is the situation:

I have been parking outside my house for almost seven years on a section of road that has worn double yellow lines.

The double yellow lines are not supposed to be painted where they are and I have a letter from the council that confirms that the lines extend too far and should not have been painted here.

They later sent someone to paint black paint over them. The black paint has now worn off to reveal partial double yellow lines (that are not supposed to be there)

Over the years I have received the odd parking ticket, have supplied a copy of the councils own letter explaining their error and had the ticket waived.

A year or so ago parking fines were moved from the police over to a private company, NCP. Since then I have had two tickets which I have had waived on supply of a copy of the letter.

In the last two weeks I have had THREE parking tickets, each time I have supplied a copy of the letter to explain their error.

It's getting tiresome, now.

I am now being sent letters to say that the matter is being investigated but if I receive ten or more parking tickets then "the vehicle will be impounded in line with council policy".

So:

<ul type="square">
[*]Does the council have the power to impound my vehicle whilst I am disputing parking tickets?
[*]Given that I have successfully disputed every parking ticket to date, has a precedent not been set?
[*]Given that parking is now controlled by a commercial enterprise, is the issuing of parking tickets more to do with revenue generation than safety/keeping roads clear of obstructions?
[*]If a parking attendant takes it upon himself to issue me with ten tickets (just seven more to go) can they really impound my vehicle? Surely there is a conflict of interest b/w revenue generation with an attendant on commission (??) and genuine reasons for issuing tickets?
[*]Am I a whingeing middle-class git that should stop carping and just pay the tickets despite the council's clear incompetence?
[*]Remind me why I am paying council tax??
[/list]

·
Registered
11,343 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
What are you doing on the internet at this time of night, JezF? Shouldn't you be getting you colleagues to target me with more dubious parking tickets?

·
Registered
1,592 Posts
Seriosly, I wouldn't worry too much about it. Best thing to do is to start writing letters of complaint to the Council, The Argus, your MP and to your local councillor. Then, you will find the problem will magically resolve itself.

·
Registered
229 Posts
Originally posted by Scaero (ecopower stg0):
[qb]Buy a tin of black paint and repair the 'yellow' lines... [/qb][/b]
Without a doubt the quickest option! , best done under cover of darkness though .

Originally posted by /john:
[qb]<ul type="square">
[*]Does the council have the power to impound my vehicle whilst I am disputing parking tickets?
[/list]
[/qb]

I don't doubt they'll cart it off to their 'compound' if you reach the magic ten, although I think they'd find it hard to justify keeping the car during the whole dispute.

<ul type="square">
[*]Given that I have successfully disputed every parking ticket to date, has a precedent not been set?
[/list]

Sounds reasonable to me.

<ul type="square">
[*]Given that parking is now controlled by a commercial enterprise, is the issuing of parking tickets more to do with revenue generation than safety/keeping roads clear of obstructions?
[/list]

Without a doubt revenue generation!

<ul type="square">
[*]If a parking attendant takes it upon himself to issue me with ten tickets (just seven more to go) can they really impound my vehicle?  Surely there is a conflict of interest b/w revenue generation with an attendant on commission (??) and genuine reasons for issuing tickets?
[/list]

Would be an interesting one if they are working on a commission basis, although I'd guess you'd be getting tickets at least daily if they were!

<ul type="square">
[*]Am I a whingeing middle-class git that should stop carping and just pay the tickets despite the council's clear incompetence?
[/list]

If you're parking legally, then no you shouldn't pay!

<ul type="square">
[*]Remind me why I am paying council tax??
[/list]

Ummmm    .[/b]

·
Registered
394 Posts
Comrade /john
I would have thought a polite but strongly worded letter should do the trick.
If they have already informed you in writing that the yellow lines, and therefore any tickets issued on them, are unlawful, then to threaten you with the impounding of your car if you don't pay up is tantamount to blackmail
Good luck Citizen.
Fight the power

·
Registered
229 Posts
Actually, I wasn't thinking straight in my first post - just have a 'concerned' word with your local Councillor and maybe drop in something along the lines of speaking to the local press if the matter isn't resolved to your satisfaction .

Should do the trick nicely!

·
Registered
1,031 Posts
Write to the Chief Executive and the Leader of the Council and tell them you want the lines permenantly removed to stop wasting yours and the Council's time.

Working for a Council myself, I know that it can be easy to approach the Leader and Chief Executive.

David Panter, Chief Exec of Brighton and Hove City Council is a young forward thinking guy, so I'd try him first. Not too sure about the leader!

·
Registered
970 Posts
Are these lines extending from around the corner? Dunno if its the same as where we live but double yellows are used to accentuate the wrong of parking near a corner, within 15m (i think). If that is where they start then you'll find that there is no required signpost and so they may look like double yelows but aren't, (legally).

If however, they are double yellows running alongsoide the straight kerb and have the associated signeage, then they are enforceable, though your previous contact with the Council should be valuable to your cause and I would then suggest the already suggested letter, perhaps to your Councillor or MP. It may be worth trying to send it to the manager of NCP to see if you get any good result from him first.

As for being a middle class gripe (or however you phrased it), I would have thought that any self-respecting person should have the strength of thier convictions and follow their principles, whether middle class or not.

Good luck.

·
Registered
1,592 Posts
Originally posted by Toby Field:
[qb]David Panter, Chief Exec of Brighton and Hove City Council is a young forward thinking guy, so I'd try him first. [/qb][/b]
Erh, you could, but he is on a bit of an extended break. Something to do with living it up on his business credit card...

1 - 20 of 29 Posts