Saabscene Saab Forum - Saab Technical Information Resource banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Why do I not have dash panel lights working? The dimmer works with the radio illumination but everything else is inoperative. Which can be a bit tricky keeping to the speed limit, not knowing what speed you are doing and having to turn on cabin lights to see.
Please help me, I want to keep my licence.
Thanks to all.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
How can all the bulbs go at once? Given that the radio illumination light works with dimmer it looks like something less obvious.
Bye the bye, how do I get rid of check engine warning after battery removal?
Thanks for all replies so far.

G

·
Originally posted by spidermars:
[qb]How can all the bulbs go at once? Given that the radio illumination light works with dimmer it looks like something less obvious.
[/qb][/b]
don't answer a question with a question.

who said they all went at once? the point is they may have all gone a different times - now none of them work - the radio is separate so don't let theat throw you off the scent.

the question was: have you checked the bulbs? check the bulbs? Are they OK? Yes - then the problem lies elsewhere. NO? Then the bulbs are the problem./

its a process of elimmination you see. i'm trying to help you here mate

·
Registered
14,305 Posts
Spider,

If it's just the main instrumentation panel containing the speedo and tacho that isn't lit but all the rest are- like the rheostat and heater, then it's likely that the connector has come off the back of the instrumentation unit.

If the radio really is the only unit working then I'm more inclined to suspect mass lamp failure (although I've never heard of that before), because although the heater unit has it's own connector, the illumination supply for all switches is integral to the switch connector, so if a switch is funtioning, it's 99% certain you're getting an illumination feed to it.

Whichever, you're going to need to take the dash off to either re-plug connectors or replace lamps. When you take the instrumentation unit out, mind out for the rubber mounts that it sits on at the bottom. They have a habit of falling off down inside and are a real pain to find again...

G

·
spidermars, just rered my post did not come across how intented so apologies just tying to narrow cause and eliminate

happy xmas

·
Registered
282 Posts
When I purchased my 9000t16, every bulb had blown in the dash. I replaced all of them and turned the ignition - everything a-ok, including the dash panel (speedo etc) that didnt work before.
Not sure how the mass failure was achieved but someone had tinkered behind the facia so I checked all the connectors etc. Possible that the previous owner/idiot had shorted something out that blew all the bulbs as well.

John.
----------
'86 9000t16

·
Registered
11,343 Posts
Do you not suspect progressive failure of bulbs over time, rather than "mass bulb failure" which makes it sound like a rather grand one-off event?

It is quite possible that all the bulbs have blown one by one over time - such that none of them work now.

·
Registered
282 Posts
'Mass bulb failure' is what I was told had happened by the previous moron/owner. Even he was'nt dense enough to not replace blown bulbs after the 5th or so, let alone all of them.

Anyway, it sounds a lot more impressive so leave me alone.

John.

ps. spider, check the main wiring connectors behind the stereo cut-out (top cubby hole) are joined properly, that is your most likely fault. Hope I ain't teaching anyone to suck eggs!

·
Registered
11,343 Posts
Originally posted by santeria589:
[qb]Anyway, it sounds a lot more impressive so leave me alone.

[/qb][/b]
Sorry John, did not mean it to sound belligerent - I just read from previous posts an inference that all the bulbs had failed at once. Nobody seemed to have considered that the bulbs may have blown one by one over a period of time until they had all gone.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts