Saabscene Saab Forum - Saab Technical Information Resource banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2,599 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Any one have advice on painting Saab alloys? Wheels in question are 16" aero ones. What is the correct colour and where can I get it from. What sort of paint should I use, what about the centre caps what should I use on them? Do I do a sloid coat and then a laquer or not.

Thanks for the help

·
Registered
1,245 Posts
Ford Platinum Metallic matches the Saab silver exactly. I repainted the centre caps only on a 9000 using that shade and they were indistiguishable from the wheels.
If you are painting all of the wheels and caps then it won't matter to much if the shade differs slightly from the original. Halfords do a alloy wheel paints in various shades which I've used with good results. Use the appropriate primer and definitely lacquer them.

·
Registered
8,216 Posts
I'm told my wheels (which are the standard Saab wheel colour) are exactly the same colour as my car(s) - Saab Silver 247. If you want an exact match, Halfords and others can mix paint and you can have Aerosols if you like, but they're not terribly cheap, and in fact you can get an aerosol the same size packaged along with an aerosol of lacquer directly from Saab for less, but you'll likely have to order it.

I agree - definitely use a base coat and lacquer rather than a single-coat metallic.

If you're just worried about the centre caps, go to a Saab dismantler and buy some decent second-hand ones.

·
Registered
600 Posts
I initially painted my AERO wheels before getting some redundancy money and treating myself to some new ones.

My experience is, DO NOT try and take all the existing paint and laquer off your wheels, it will take ages because whatever SAAB used seems resistand to paint stripper, electric drills fitted with wire brushes, wire wool,etc etc,

I would roughen up surface with wet and dry then pay particular attention to any bubbles/chips and keep rubbing till all the "problem" has gone.

Then use some named brand of wheel silver and lots and lots of laquer. Lots of light coats to avoid runs, if you get bored waiting for it to dry, I stole my wife's hair dryer to speed things up.

Cheers

·
Registered
2,599 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the info chaps. My wheels are the grey ones with polished rims, well I've got to polish the rims as they are looking a bit dull. What I'm concerned about is the centre caps, will a standard paint be felxible enough for the centre caps or will it just crack and flake the first time I try to remove them. I understand that paints can be mixed with a plasticiser? Some paint products are designed for plastics - would these be a better choice?

On a similar theme - anyone know the best product to use on Carlsson bumbers and side skirts. Will a standard cellulose paint be OK or do I need someone specificallt for plastics. Can a high build primer be used on plastics? Saabman or any body shop men please help

·
Registered
3,172 Posts
Saabman or any body shop men please help  [/b]
Sorry mate not been on much lately and not had the time to read all the posts

I understand that paints can be mixed with a plasticiser?  [/b]
Yes that is correct but it is very expensive and really only used on very soft plastics/rubber.paint itself will flex quite a lot without cracking.I myself would not use a plasticiser on centre caps/wheel trims etc,but good accessory shops do a special primer in aerosols that plasticis's the top coat of paint if you are worried about it not flexing or peeling off.
Will a standard cellulose paint be OK  [/b]
yes celly would do but try to go for a modern two pack paint if you can or at least two-pack laquer and celly base coat as two-pack dries very hard with a good shine and stays that way.
Can a high build primer be used on plastics?  [/b]
Yes high build primer can be used on plastics

·
Registered
3,172 Posts
Just thought there is a place near you that would sell you/give you as much advice as you needed on painting your wheels.
Preston Paints
Great Shaw St
Preston Lancashire PR1 2HT
Business Type: PAINT, VARNISH & LACQUER
Tel: 01772 253004
Any probs give me a shout and if they won't sell you the paint directly? (not sure on the new regulations)Tell me and I'll get it delivered to my work at trade price Also if you took a wheel or cap in they would give you a perfect match on the colour

·
Registered
8,216 Posts
Regulations seem to be that they are not allowed to sell paint above a certain quantity to private individuals. I wanted a litre of paint, some primer, lacquer, thinners, etc. from a local paint supplier and they couldn't sell it to me. I asked if I could buy it through a business and they said that would be fine if I could produce a purchase order. I went home, printed one out in my name with all the stuff on it (I had asked for a list of the prices) and that was fine. Just so long as they had the paperwork. As it happens, I do run a business in my own name (nothing to do with cars), but they didn't question it.

[edit] They would happily have sold me a "touch-up" quantity or an aerosol, though, mixed to the correct colour.

·
Registered
2,599 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Cheers for the help guys - I'll let you know how I get on. Was toying with the idea of doing the spokes and centre black with polished rims but maybe not, maybe a dark grey would be better.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.