Saabscene Saab Forum - Saab Technical Information Resource banner

Pads

Tags
pads
2K views 9 replies 9 participants last post by  Eric van Spelde 
#1 ·
I would be interested to know what you reckon are the best pads for a 9000? I know a lot of people rave about Ferodo's. But what of Pagids? I know a lot of Lotus owners that thinks they are THE ultimate brake pad, but am aware that Lotus's are a lot ligter.

Opinions welcome!

#4 ·
I've got Pagid Fast Roads on the front of my 9-3 and there's no squeal what so ever. I just put Mintex C-Tech (M1144) on the rears. God damn do they squeal when in reverse gear. It's a shame Pagid don't supply Fast Road pads for the rears.

The change in braking performance is amazing!!

One of the these days I'll brake and the body will come flying off the chassis.

#7 ·
I got DS3000's on the same front brake setup (late 9000 calipers and discs, the latter are Brembo's rather than the OE items though). They squeal like pigs on light application, but I don't mind. They do need some heat in them before performing to their best, but hey - even from stone cold they're better than my previous brake set up was at its absolute max (which admittedly doesn't say much because I was still running solid discs up front before ); it's only because retardation is so spectacular when warm that you notice the difference that much.

They are not exactly dust free - but I never had problems cleaning my wheels so far.

#8 ·
I have also recently fitted Pagid fast road pads and am more than happy with their performance - once they bite they stop you very quickly - I get a bit more rumble under heavy braking as I fitted ATE Powerdiscs at the same time which are grooved. A bit more dust but cleans off the wheels ok.

Mike

#9 ·
Typically brake squeal under light application is caused by the pads "shifting" slightly against the caliper. They make brake anti-squeal which is either a high temp grease, or a high temp rubbery glue. I made the mistake of not using it on my C900 and even with non-performance brakes there was a squeal. Most auto parts stores carry the stuff so it should be easy to find. If you have a squal try taking the pads off and covering the back of them in the stuff. Should get rid of it.

Yours Truly,
Addy

#10 ·
According to all of my sources the DS3000 squeal is a 'feature' of the friction material. Graham of Trent Saab did warn me of this feature when I ordered them. I might hope my Saab garage is aware of the basic procedure of 'lubricating' the pads' backing plates before inserting them.

But anyways, I don't care about the squeal, really.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.