Saabscene Saab Forum - Saab Technical Information Resource banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have just bought a 1997 2.3T CD Griffin Auto with no history or records. I have noticed it is very fast, compared to my previous 1995 2.3T CSE.

It has the Mitsu TD04HL-15 turbo fitted, which accoriding to all the information I can find is reserved for the Aero model and not usually used on an Auto.

The car was owned by Saab UK for the first 6 months of its life and then one other owner.

Does anyone know if Saab went through a stage of using the TD04 on these cars and if so is it likely to be giving 225 BHP.

The other thing is that there ar no badges on the back of the car, apart from the standard Scania circle, the V5 calls it a Saab 9000 CD Griffin Auto and the VIN numbers match

Thanks
Mark

·
Registered
2,599 Posts
Now if I get my model years wrong I'm sure someone will correct me. For the UK market the last CSE's, Anniversaries and hence I guess Griffins came with the 2.3T 225bhp engine. The VIN number can be checked on Bills site VIN Decoder one letter should give you the engine type i.e. 200 or 225.

·
Registered
8,216 Posts
And I still believe none was produced with both the 225hp engine and an auto transmission. According to the VIN and engine numbers, Mark's car has a 200hp engine. However, the TD04 turbo fitted and the high boost he is seeing suggest that if it left the factory as a 200hp car, something has happened to it since.

I was wondering whether this bore any similarities to either Jason's CD or StanleyB's 9-3 2.3T.

·
Registered
11,343 Posts
Originally posted by BillJ:
[qb]I was wondering whether this bore any similarities to either Jason's CD or StanleyB's 9-3 2.3T. [/qb][/b]
Quite possible, I'd have thought. It seems that Saab likes to mix and match and make up cars depending on what is in the parts bin at the time.

Looks like the early 9-3SS to make it into the country had a few non-standard items fitted - like sports suspension on the lower models.

Yesterday I saw a 9000 which had a 9000CSE front end with slim headlamps/indicators and a 9000CDE rear end with large rear lamps. Or was it a 9000CDE with a slim CSE front end grafted onto it? Either way, you don't see too many of those

·
Registered
2,277 Posts
Originally posted by Adrian:
[qb] QUOTE
And I still believe none was produced with both the 225hp engine and an auto transmission.  [/b]
Yeah, I'd agree no autos would be sent out with a 225bhp engine as the ZF4HP-18 is on its limit with the torque of the 200bhp version [/qb][/b][/quote]BHP is a function of torque and rpm. As the smaller T25 turbo runs out of puff at higher rpms in the 2.3 engine why couldn't they put a TD04 in with a programmed torque limit throughout, but then allow it to produce the same level of torque as a T25 to higher rpms and therefore produce more bhp at the top-end alone?

·
Registered
8,216 Posts
Originally posted by cdcarlsson:
[qb]As the smaller T25 turbo runs out of puff at higher rpms in the 2.3 engine why couldn't they put a TD04 in with a programmed torque limit throughout, but then allow it to produce the same level of torque as a T25 to higher rpms and therefore produce more bhp at the top-end alone? [/qb][/b]
No reason they couldn't. But they didn't, to my knowledge. I suppose that given the limited torque, all you'd be getting was 12% more horsepower at the top end. The Aero is fast not only because it has the extra 25hp, but also because it has significantly more mid-range torque.

Mark, you say the boost needle goes "into the gap between the first and second red bars" on acceleration. Are these the bars at the start of the red/yellow striped region?

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Originally posted by BillJ:

Mark, you say the boost needle goes "into the gap between the first and second red bars" on acceleration. Are these the bars at the start of the red/yellow striped region? [/QB][/b]
Well, eh hem, it was, and right to the end of the red from stationary. I did wonder if the turbo boost solenoid might be playing up as the boost cut off a couple of times when it hit the end of the red. So I took the solenoid off and sprayed some carb cleaner through it. Now I am only getting boost about half way along the yellow

Having read some info on your superb site, I am hoping I just need to find a long hill to do a 'Trionic boost adaptation run'.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts