Saabscene Saab Forum - Saab Technical Information Resource banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
1996, 9000 2.3 LPT. Only since this warm weather the engine is overheating as shown on temp guage. Rising into red then dropping to 9 o'clock then rising, then dropping. When it gets to the 'hot' position, the A/c cuts out, it seems the compressor clutch is not engaging but when running at normal temperature all systems work perfectly. i have yesterday had A/c re-charged but while the performance of the A/c is much better, the problem still exists.

HELP, what is the point of no A/c when it gets hot??????

Any help will be appreciated. Alun

·
Registered
413 Posts
Alun,
You need to check out the cooling system.
I think the AC going off is one of those 'magic' things that will happen if the engine gets too hot. The ac uses quite a lot of power from the engine so shuts down to prevent engine getting even hotter. ( I think ).
First thing to check is :- does the cooling fan come on when the temp. gauge gets high? Some engines have a two speed fan and some single.
The fan cut in / out is controlled primarily by the sensor/switch in the radiator. There is also a control for the fan in the AC circuit somewhere I think.
Get the engine warm, then let it idle and watch for the fan cutting in ( keep fingers etc. out of the way ). Probably best to start checking things with the AC off. Come back with more questions if you need to. Others here probably know more about the cooling system than I do.
Or you may have a sticking thermostat.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.