Saabscene Saab Forum - Saab Technical Information Resource banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
234 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
On my way into work this morning I noticed the temp dial creeping into the red
And when I arrived in the office a bloomin' hose split

I didn't hear the cooling fan come in so either the fan or temp sensor (if it's different to the temp dial ) isn't working. How do check the function of either.

I'm just on my way out to the carpark now to check the fuses.

Help please.

TIA

Ian

·
Registered
14,305 Posts
Ian,

Cooling system wise, there may be nothing wrong other than a split hose and a dodgy connection to your coolant reservoir...

The raditor fan is switched on by a thermostatic switch in the radiator... if you've lost coolant, there may no be enough flow to the radiator to get it hot enough. However, I would have expected your chek coolant level lamp to come on- did it? If it didn't, check the connector is plugged in just forward of the reservoir.

An easy check of your fan if you have AC is to start the car and turn the AC on max. Within a minute or so, the fan should come on.

·
Registered
234 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Hi Mark,

Just had a better look at the car.

The coolant res doesn't have a level sensor

Also the hose that has gone is the one from the right side of the engine (under the dist. cap) which goes to the heater matrix. Sombody please tell me that it's not going to be a new matrix

Ian

·
Registered
778 Posts
Ian, nothing is absolutely certain, but I would wager that if your matrix should fail, it wouldn't be because of the hose failure. If the coolant level dropped below the temp' sensor, then that could explain why your fan didn't run. Hopefully, the hose did split as soon as you entered the office parking lot. That way, you didn't drive for any extended period pushing coolant out of the system.......if you want to test the temp' sensor, you can immerse it in heated water (90º C) and test for continuity between the blue and black/ground wire. IIRC, on my 'old' '92 the temp' gauge would have to climb pretty high for the fan to turn on. Hopefully, your hose did burst just as you pulled into the lot - this would be the best scenario vis-a-vis your cylinder head.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Ian,

There is a section in the Haynes manual for testing the fan. I started to have a similar problem with the fan not kicking in, luckily I wasn't stationery long enough to go too hot. When I checked things out, it turned out one of the pins in the connector block for the fan were badly corroded, so stopping the fan coming on. This may be somewhere to start before replacing temp switches/fans

·
Registered
8,948 Posts
You can tets the fan to see if it spins by shorting the 2 pins on the radiator temp sensor while the the plug is still on.

That would tell you if it was the sensor, connection, or just a lack of hot water at the sensor.

Andrew

1 - 9 of 9 Posts