Saabscene Saab Forum - Saab Technical Information Resource banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Can anyone help me please.The ABS comes on if the brakes are applied when turning right. This 1993/4 9000 has been to the main dealers 5 times, and they have been brilliant. but neither they or Saab GB can find the fault. The abs control box,pump, pistons,master cylinder,servo, all wheel sensors have all been replaced. I changed the frt off side wheel brg and I thing the other side has already been done.I cant find anything wrong.The Saab computer says the system is perfect!!

·
Registered
8,948 Posts
I see you've done the wheel bearing, that would have been my guess (as the teeth move closer or further away from the sensor and give false pulse readings). Looks like someone has spent a lot of mony trying to fix it.

Do you get any ABS failure lights? or does it think it's working properly.

Do you know which wheel it is 'unlocking'? that would give you a good starting point.

My Aero has done this only once, just as the NSF wheel bearing went, and when turning right.

I have seen 1 saab with the wrong ABS wheel bearing which caused much ABS confusion. One had been replaced and a 80 something toothed wheel had been fitted instead of the 40ish toothed one

Andrew

PS. Welcome to Saabscene. I see you have a 99T too

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the welcome. No there are no ABS failure lights.The dealer says its the front nearside that is unlocking,I am not so sure , because the computer said it was this wheels AbS pump piston faulty, and that turned out to be incorrect. I changed the o/f frt brg 18 mts before the problem started. It started once in a while, and has become almost constant.I have tried to check n/s frt brg again today, it has definitely been off because the drive shaft threads are damaged.

·
Registered
8,948 Posts
the NSF wheel bearing nuts are the one that are slightly prone to self loosening.

Check for any signs of rust around the washer behind the nut, and listen for any creaking from that wheel when driving at a crawling pace (as the wheel bearing moves around).

I would be suspicious of the bearing or sensor for that wheel.

Andew

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I tried to tighten both frt wheel brgs today but both were very tight. I used a socket and bar and 600mm bit of pipe to get extra leverage. There is no rust around brg washer, but i will get the wife to drive slowly and try and listen for any noise. I realy appreciate the help, thanks very much.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts