Saabscene Saab Forum - Saab Technical Information Resource banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just recently my 96'9000 CS has started to display wildly inaccurate outside temperature readings on the dash, ranging from -33C to -2C, when I know the temperature is more around 15C. Has anyone got any ideas on what is causing this problem?

·
Registered
1,664 Posts
There is a sensor behind the front bumper,it will either have failed or fallen out of its housing.If you have climate control,and the outside sensor has failed,you will find that will be playing up as well.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Originally posted by PIN 96CS:
[qb]Just recently my 96'9000 CS has started to display wildly inaccurate outside temperature readings on the dash, ranging from -33C to -2C, when I know the temperature is more around 15C. Has anyone got any ideas on what is causing this problem? [/qb][/b]

·
Registered
2,928 Posts
Some while ago, I had to remove the front bumper, and made the mistake of disconnecting the electrical connector to the temp sensor in order to remove the bumper. I should have physically removed the sensor from its bracket. Unfortunately, I then moved the car, and the display lit up with "ERROR" as there was a sensor missing. When I reconnected the sensor, it said -30C or so. I thought there must be a bad connection, so I removed it once more, cleaned the connector, and reassembled. Still -30C. However, over the next minutes, the reading gradually rose to normal, taking perhaps one hour in total.

Unfortunately, I still got an "error" display when I turned the ignition as the error was logged in the brain. I had to get the dealer to clear the code.

I never understood why the temperature reading behaved as it did, but at least I know not to turn on the ignition with any sensors disconnected.

·
Registered
4,368 Posts
On a slight tangent, how accurate do we think these outside temperature gauges are?

I have three cars (2000 Saab, 1992 Audi, 1966 Porsche) which have outside temperature gauges, and the readings can vary significantly on the same day. I've also noticed this with the ovloV V70 and BM 530 we have at work.

James

·
Registered
435 Posts
Question here folks....

My temp sensor works fine when on the open road but when idling and not moving the temp goes up as there is no air rushing past.

My wife has an Audi A6 which always reads correctly when stationary so is my Saab one disloged from any heat shield or are they just [expletive deleted]?

PS if I need to remove it is the panel visible to the right of the number plate in the bumper?

·
Registered
3,892 Posts
It's not [expletive deleted]....rather it's probably not in the most ideal location, especially with the heat soak from a turbo engine at idle wafting downwards, starts the temp rising.
But it's still better than the one in my missus Ford Focus.......

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.