Saabscene Saab Forum - Saab Technical Information Resource banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
696 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was wondering does anyone of you guys have experience with the original Saab sportchassis for a 9k. Its supposed to be from bilstein according to the memory of a experienced 'Saab mechanic.

And for me working at a dealer this is by far the cheapest option. (I bought a house so i'm on a tight budget)

Hope to read some good reviews

·
Registered
696 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hmm thats the kit I'm after. According to the pictures they are yellow coloured dampers.

Do they lower the CS?

·
Registered
696 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
If it stiffens up the ride it will be fine.
The Springs are on it for 260.000 Miles now so they will be weakenend a lot. I don't know if the dampers have been replaced earlier in my cars life. But they are weak now.

·
Registered
276 Posts
I believe these kits contain standard turbo dampers and not the uprated Aero ones, as these are no longer available. The picture shows that they are colour coded red whereas Aero dampers are colour coded brown and have the part number 4194 338 (along with 25mm rather than 22mm damper rods. If you look this part number up in EPC it have been superseded by the same part number used for turbo applications. I even tried sourcing some direct from Sachs but was referred back to Saab. I ended up with a set of Bilstein dampers as the turbo ones were unable to control the stiffer Aero springs...at least Saab gave me a refund when I complained.

·
Registered
696 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Today I spent fitting the kit. I'm now driving with no Rear ARB as I don't have new bushings to fit in the ARB. The bolts of the shock absorber wouldn't come loose so I had to use the Angle grinder to remove the shock absorbers.

·
Registered
276 Posts
Bilstein dampers are stiffer than the standard Aero dampers, especially the rear ones. Some find the ride too hard when fitted and prefer the adjustable Koni dampers. I have run Bilstein dampers on my 9000 Aero (with standard springs) for the last 24,000 miles and find the ride no worst than that on our 93ss Aero. It's definitely a personal preference thing.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts